Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
A bit of a long shot, but was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the former Canterbury/Dunkirk Airfield near Canterbury, Kent.

From what I can see (from above) the airstrip is largely still there but is no longer used. I understand from others that the former owner was involved in a fatal accident there and that was the end of it.

What I have heard may well be incorrect. The lack of local airfields has got me thinking and I would love to explore the opportunity of reusing this site. There are very very few neighbours and it is adjacent to the A2.
By Flying_john
Nearest ones really are Mystole - out the back of Chartham, Maypole, Clipgate or Bekesbourne.
By IMCR
I landed there once many years ago. It was a good length gravel strip with a caravan at the dual carriageway end. There is a short drive off the carriageway with a farmers gate at the top. A few years ago I had a look in there as I was passing and nothing much seemed to have changed but no sign of any flying. I landed over the carriageway and it was billed as one way in, I seem to recall the approach over the forest from the opposite direction would have been more interesting with the runway rising towards the carriageway. It is a shame it closed albeit as it was never licensed I guess it is a matter for the land owners.

Maypole is the nearest as far as I know and very pleasant too, albeit doubtless very wet at the moment.
By Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
I think the Police use the site for training. I often see police vehicles there during the week. It's on my list of potential forced landing locations, but wouldn't use it from choice. Last time in there was for a fly-in October 1996.
By What is a PA-16?
Flying_john wrote:Nearest ones really are Mystole - out the back of Chartham, Maypole, Clipgate or Bekesbourne.

Mystole? any idea of co-ordinates so I can look it up on Google Earth?
By ROG
I flew into it 4 times many years ago. As I recall it was convex in shape and the surface was asphalt with lots of loose gravel. The guy who owned it lived in a caravan on sight. You always landed uphill, and took off uphill-- hit the peak and gathered speed downhill to take off. The owner promised to give you a canterbury airfield mug if you visited twice.. I actually was handed one but it cracked on use.
Not many people risked 2 visits.
It closed--I believe --after someone didn"t get up enough speed and crunched onto the motorway.
I guess you could call it challenging--I would rate Nayland as more challenging in the challenging scale.
By What is a PA-16?
Wow that is short, just measured it on google earth, not quite 200m. Also not shown as an airstrip on google earth so I guess it's either newer than the google map, or gone now.

halfmil wrote:Not sure how much runway you're looking for, but Chartham Hatch is closer to Dunkirk.

http://binged.it/1JnidBi
By Flying_john
I have walked the one at Mystole and flown over, but never seen anyone there.

The one at the Hatch is about 190metres and only suitable for microlights or gyros.
By Dodo
I discovered leaves in my undercarriage after landing a PA-17 Vagabond at Canterbury ( having approached "over" the trees). :pale: