Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Steve H
Old Buckenham is an ex-WW2 US AAC bomber base that flew mainly Liberators in WW2. It was also the base where the actor James Stewart was the Exec Officer for the Group (he was one of the few ‘real deal’ actors in the US armed services).

It is located some 10nm SW of Norwich. I did not find it particularly easy to spot (partly because it was lurking under the shadow of a cloud on an otherwise sunny day). What does give it away are some very large (I would guess turkey) sheds obviously built on part of what used to be a very long hard runway 25. The hard runway is now only 800m, of which the 150m on 25 is very rough – don’t even think about ‘accidentally’ landing there!

Turning final for 25 over the sheds

Final for 25

There are no overhead joins as there is often parachuting and they land just behind the clubhouse to the south. Call at about 10nm to find out about the parachuting and whether they are dropping at that moment or not.

This is a very well kept airfield and we got a very friendly and helpful reception, with detailed taxi advice delivered in a very relaxed and friendly way (i.e. NOT a case of a radio service overstepping the mark).

The café was basic but very good and fast, friendly service.

The airfield reminds me a bit of Compton Abbas (yes, I know it is not on a ridge at 1000’ odd), with picnic tables on manicured grass outside the front of the clubhouse watching the planes come and go, giving marks out of 10 for each landing (like you do). It had a very relaxed feel to the place and I could quite happily have stayed all day.
Last edited by Steve H on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Now home to the Shiny Colt. We are on the North side of the field near the 20 (Grass) Threshold.

Rob P
By ChrisShackleton
Flew there on Saturday afternoon from Blackbushe, lovely airfield, very friendly and welcoming. Interesting short final over various containers/farm machinery.

Coffee in the cafe could do with some improvement...

..and it was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday afternoon on a lovely day. Would definately go again.

Chris
By Gary H
Dropped in for the first time on Sunday.
Thought it was a lovely place, nice cafe serving good bacon butties.
Fair bit of activity going on and quite a lot of parachuting too.
I agree about the short final though, surely they could find somewhere else to store all that stuff. :shock:
By Night Hawk
I am visiting Old Buck tomorrow (Sun 2nd) and just wanted to find out if this is one of those high viz places??? Can anyone help me out who may be in the know?

NH
By NickC
No it isn't (we dropped in a few weeks ago). A lovely airfield, enjoy!
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Night Hawk wrote:I am visiting Old Buck tomorrow (Sun 2nd) and just wanted to find out if this is one of those high viz places??? Can anyone help me out who may be in the know?

NH

Two gotchas:

No overhead joins at any time as para dropping takes place all week.

On departure ask for engine start up (yes I know it's only a/g) so that you can be sure all canopies are on the ground before the fan starts whirring.......

One more: Noise abatement: Downwind legs to the north of Attleborough and 20 degree R crank (Hdg270) immediately on takeoff on the westerly (25) runway...........

Nice place.

Peter
By Night Hawk
Thanks for the Advice Pete.

What a very nice little airfield, the meat bommers had just landed and was able to join the zone and land without holding. Landing fee a tenner and was very quiet for a Sunday with good weather.

NH
By jaycee58
Also worth knowing is that if, like me, you drop in there fairly regularly, you can get associate membership of the club for £40 a year and you won't have to pay any more landing fees. Excellent value.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
jaycee58 wrote:Also worth knowing is that if, like me, you drop in there fairly regularly, you can get associate membership of the club for £40 a year and you won't have to pay any more landing fees. Excellent value.

Agreed and you also get a slightly reduced fuel price.

As Old Buck is our 'gas station', the savings gradually mount up.

Peter :wink: :wink:
By Night Hawk
Pete S wrote:
jaycee58 wrote:Also worth knowing is that if, like me, you drop in there fairly regularly, you can get associate membership of the club for £40 a year and you won't have to pay any more landing fees. Excellent value.

Agreed and you also get a slightly reduced fuel price.

As Old Buck is our 'gas station', the savings gradually mount up.

Peter :wink: :wink:

(sorry) A little off topic.

Does LKI take the odd visitor?

NH