Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
This is not substantiated but chatting this morning heard 80euro fines have been dished out by "Monsieur" for not having 406mhz ELT/PLB compliance.

One to a light a/c and the other to ...wait for it at BM Airlines flight. Does anyone know if this is factual?
By Flyin'Dutch'
Yup true.

It was the brother of my uncle's sister's boy.

Who knows, and who cares.

Are you not going to fly with a 406 compliant unit on the strength of it being true or not?
By rosewellian
Nope I got mine on 2nd Jan.
By Timothy
rosewellian wrote:Nope I got mine on 2nd Jan.

Should be registered by early September then :roll: :lol:
By AfricanEagle
Left UK, landed in France, departed for Italy last month.

No customs, no documentaions check, no 406 verification (on board, courtesy of Aerotech , Coventry).

Depends on luck, and whom is at arrival airport, but rules are rules ....
By Fishhead
Usually infringements in France are handed over to the National Aviation Authority of the licence holder to deal with. So unless they were on the spot fines, I think it a little early for the wheels of justice to have acted.

Surely they would just stop the aircraft from moving!
By GrahamB
I find it difficult to believe that the BMI flight would not be carrying a 406MHz beacon. It is already mandated by the UK ANO for Public Transport operations.

Surely it would be fitted to the aircraft as standard equipment, you wouldn't be relying on the FO bringing his McMurdo portable to work that morning?
By Dutch experiment
Over here they came with the ridicules idea that the ELT/PLB needs to activate automatically and needs to be registrated in the Netherlands as well. Only Austria has the same regulation! This stupid idea cost me € 900 more then any other suitable solution………and the fun is……..being based at EHBK the circuit is almost above Belgium territory, I fly 80% of my time outside of the Netherlands where they have more practical solutions. It looks there are to many lawers without a pilot background within the (Dutch) CAA.

Ton
By peterh337
[quote]Only Austria has the same regulation! [/quote]

The U.S. FAA has required an ELT for many years, and every N-reg has to have one installed. There are great many N-reg aeroplanes around Europe.

Europe has been slow to implement this ICAO requirement.

Not saying it is a good or bad idea. I suppose it depends on whether you think the aircraft with the fitted ELT will sink in the sea (in which case the ELT will be useless, and a handheld unit would have been smarter) or whether it is more likely to crash somewhere and incapacitate but not kill the occupants (in which case the ELT is a good idea and a handheld unit may be useless).

Personally I have both an installed unit and a handheld.

A few years ago I went through a load of European AIPs compiling required equipment lists and found that Sweden mandated an ELT also. No idea whether they ever enforced this though.
By davidt
Can anyone answer me this;

when my aircraft came over from the states in 1980 it had an N on the side and a nice shinny new ELT fitted at the factory.To get its G painted on said shinny new ELT had to be ripped out and thrown away having been declared spawn of the devil by The Belgrano.

Now I'm under pressure to put it back at least I must if I want to go to Holland and it appears from the above Austria.

If this equipment was so evil in the 80's why is it so esential now??? Whats changed??
By Fishhead
If this equipment was so evil in the 80's why is it so esential now??? Whats changed??
Could it be that nobody in Europe would have picked you up on 406MHz in the 1980s? Now we have satellites that can!
By peterh337
[quote]when my aircraft came over from the states in 1980 it had an N on the side and a nice shinny new ELT fitted at the factory.To get its G painted on said shinny new ELT had to be ripped out and thrown away having been declared spawn of the devil by The Belgrano.
[/quote]
Did the CAA also put EXIT stickers on your doors, and required the IFR GPS installation to have its IFR features disabled?

:) :) :)

Yes, I got that treatment too, quite recently (2002).

TBF, the old ELT you had was either 121.5 only or 121.5+243.

121.5 has not been monitored by satellites for many years (if ever) because the position fixing accuracy is of the order of 100nm, and the frequency is packed with thousands of concurrent false alarms.

243MHz has been satellite monitored (with position fixing to something like a few nm radius) but this ceases this year.

The FAA has not yet mandated 406MHz but they are expected to do so soon.

All ELTs transmit on 121.5 which is used for close-range direction finding, and remains OK (and essential) for that purpose. Almost nobody has DF equipment working on 406MHz.
By M609
Both Norway and Sweden has had a requirement for ELTs on LN/SE reg aircraft for many years (121.5) and it has never been a problem for the GA community. (They have saved enough lives......)

Don't know if foreign reg aircraft had to carry them, but they never enforced it in any case.

Having read the ELT topics on here, I've never understood what the big hubbub is about! ;)