Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Thomas
I'll be flying in the UK for the first time next week. My planned route is:
- Tuesday: Toussus-le-Noble (outside of Paris) -> Jersey
- Wednesday: Jersey -> Islay
- Thursday: Islay -> Glenforsa
- Friday: Glenforsa -> Barra -> Plockton -> Prestwick
- Saturday: Prestwick -> Elstree -> Toussus-le-Noble

I would like to submit a few questions in preparation of this trip.

1) There are no required formalities other than filing a flight plan, clearing customs at the French departure airfield, and, according to Bottlang, placing a call to Jersey Information Services for the flight from France to Jersey. Correct?

2) There is a recommended VFR route for flights from the Channel Islands to the UK south coast on a track between NDB MP (cherbourg) and VOR SAM (Southhampton). This is a detour of about 30 nm from the direct route between Jersey and Islay. Are there any compelling reasons to choose the recommended route or is it just as practical to fly a more direct route?

3) Bottlang says that Pilots flying between Jersey and the UK South Coast should expect to routte via VRP West of Cap de la Hague unless wishing to use the recommended VFR route from Solent CTA.
a) Would a request to cross between Guernsey and Alderney and then exit the Channel Islands CTR to the north on a 345 course be refused?
b) For the recommended VFR route, what exit should be expected?

4) For the flight from Jersey to Islay, I must first land at a designated airport (prevention of terrorism) or seek permission from the chief officer of police in the Islay area to make the flight without an intermediate landing. I haven
By bookworm
You also need to clear customs if coming from Jersey to UK:

See the GAR Form

Of the places you list, Gloucester is the cheapest/easiest, about GBP 20 IIRC, though your single Comanche may be a bit less than the PA30.
By Thomas
Thanks for pointing me to the GAR form bookworm. I was actually aware of the need for it to enter the UK, but neglected to say so in my post.

Gloucester looks good. Their web site lists
By Irv Lee
I'm sure DerekF will be along in a minute, but a few answers:

Thomas wrote:
1) There are no required formalities other than filing a flight plan, clearing customs at the French departure airfield, and, according to Bottlang, placing a call to Jersey Information Services for the flight from France to Jersey. Correct?

Jersey Zone would be your first call to Jersey on whatever freq it says on the chart (haven't got one handy, seem to remember its 125.2). No VFR in the Class A CTR of course, so it is SVFR if not IFR.

Thomas wrote:2) There is a recommended VFR route for flights from the Channel Islands to the UK south coast on a track between NDB MP (cherbourg) and VOR SAM (Southhampton). This is a detour of about 30 nm from the direct route between Jersey and Islay. Are there any compelling reasons to choose the recommended route or is it just as practical to fly a more direct route?

It's only 'recommended' presumably as it is the shortest water crossing. I often do Alderney - Southampton direct. On the recommended route, there are danger areas to negotiate with Plymouth Military too (124.15? and there may be some days when they don't want to let you cross!
Thomas wrote:3) Bottlang says that Pilots flying between Jersey and the UK South Coast should expect to routte via VRP West of Cap de la Hague unless wishing to use the recommended VFR route from Solent CTA.
a) Would a request to cross between Guernsey and Alderney and then exit the Channel Islands CTR to the north on a 345 course be refused?
b) For the recommended VFR route, what exit should be expected?

I'm sure (but have never done it) that a route Jersey to VOR BHD or Exeter is normal - others will confirm. If you go back to the French coast from Jersey, be sure to avoid the French ZITs and ZIPs around Cap de la Hague and south of it. Nomral route for the recommended route would be more like a Jersey - Carteret route.
Thomas wrote:4) For the flight from Jersey to Islay, I must first land at a designated airport (prevention of terrorism) or seek permission from the chief officer of police in the Islay area to make the flight without an intermediate landing. I haven
By Ben Twings
If you didn't want to do the Jersey to Scotland in one leg, you could alternatively do the police and customs notification for any other UK field, as has been described.

Fuel in the Scottish Highlands is a bit sparse, it may be worth checking the availability.

Barra only has a landing fee when the tower is manned for commercial flights. At other times you are simply landing on a public beach - quite legitimate, but at your own risk. Remember to give your aeroplane a thorough hose down soon afterwards, before the salt takes effect.

I can't remember exactly, but I think the fees were around the
By Thomas
matspart3, thanks for the tip on the reduced landing fee when uplifting fuel at Gloucester.

Irv, great information all around, thanks!

Ben, thanks for drawing my attention to the possible lack of availability of fuel in the Scottish Highlands. However, I'm fortunate enough to have a range of 1300+ nm in the Comanche, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Ben Twings wrote:Barra only has a landing fee when the tower is manned for commercial flights. At other times you are simply landing on a public beach - quite legitimate, but at your own risk. Remember to give your aeroplane a thorough hose down soon afterwards, before the salt takes effect.

I will definitely want the benefit of a tower for a first time visit. The opening hours in the morning work out quite well for me too.

About the cleaning of the plane: I suspect we won't find a hose at Plockton airfield but I carry a bucket and sponge in the plane that we'll hopefully be able to use for a start. I hope that delaying the thourough hose down of the plane until the evening arrival at Prestwick won't be too detrimental.

/Thomas
By Thomas
Thanks Nigel! That's two votes for Gloucester.

/Thomas
By derekf
Hi Thomas,

A couple of points to help.

1. If coming in to Jersey from Toussus (or anywhere else from France) you'll generally call Jersey Approach as opposed to Zone (although there's no problem if you do call Jersey Zone). You can complete all customs formalities in Jersey when you arrive from France (no need to send anything first).

2. In all the flying I've done from Jersey to the UK I've never actually done the recommeded route from MP to SAM ! Generally I'll fly direct to Southampton. If flying VFR (SVFR in Jersey Zone) you'll be routed up to the zone boundary west of Cap de La Hague. Beware the N866 airway base of FL35

3. Jersey BHD is another route if you're heading further west on your flight up. If flying at the weekend or a bank holiday a lot more options are available when the danger areas are shut.

4. Read through the GAR form - you can land almost anywhere from Jersey provided you following the instructions and let the police and customs know in advance. Depending how far you go and your route, Gloucester is a nice option.

I'd also disagree with Irv on one point - Southampton as a point to land and clear customs on the South Coast (if you need one) is fairly reasonable provided you get PPR - but avoid Bouremouth at all costs as it's very very very expensive !!!

Feel free to ask any other questions re: Jersey and if you PM me when you're planning on coming through I'll pop up to the aeroclub and sat hi.

Derek...

PS - If you do come to Jersey you could see if you can spot Irv's name on the display boards of pilots who earned their PPL there (even though it was some time ago and has only recently been put up :wink: :lol: )
By Thomas
Derek, thanks for the helpful reply!

derekf wrote:4. Read through the GAR form - you can land almost anywhere from Jersey provided you following the instructions and let the police and customs know in advance.

I followed your advice and read the form (I've had it printed out for a couple of days without actually really reading it). This has yielded another set of questions:
a) Would Islay be a GAA airfield?
b) If I want to fly direct to Islay, which of the regional police force contact numbers on the GAR form should I use?
c) Going to Islay from Jersey, there are three faxes to send, to immigration, customs and police, right?
d) Do I need to await a positive reply after having sent the faxes or am I good to go if i respect the required notice time?

derekf wrote:Feel free to ask any other questions re: Jersey and if you PM me when you're planning on coming through I'll pop up to the aeroclub and sat hi.

Thanks! Have PMed you.

We'll be staying at St H
By 10W
Hi Thomas,

Strathclyde Police Force are the ones you need to contact for Islay. If you can't find the number, let me know. I'll check their full requirements and post them tomorrow morning.

Fuel is normally available at Islay, Campbeltown, Oban, Benbecula, and Prestwick. Glenforsa were also rumoured to have a small supply. I don't have knowledge about Barra or Plockton for fuel. The best thing is to contact the airfields before departure to make sure that they have fuel, and that they haven't run out !!

Landing fee at Islay will probably be around GBP15, Barra will be the same during opening hours, Glenforsa was
By Delta Juliet
Buy as much fuel as you can in Jersey, its much cheaper than in the rest of the UK.

Also when you are leaving the UK from a major airport you can buy fuel without VAT. Some airports do theis others do not. Worth checking as it can save you a bit.

I have always found Jersey ATC very helpful and a quick phone call from the GA facility will probably get you whatever routing you want.

Watch out for the danger areas off the south coast of the UK. Very often you cannot find out which ones are active from the Channel islands. so be prepeared to avoid them if you find they are active. They are mainly used on weekdays so the best chance of finding them inactive is at weekends.
By Thomas
10W wrote:Hi Thomas,
Strathclyde Police Force are the ones you need to contact for Islay. If you can't find the number, let me know. I'll check their full requirements and post them tomorrow morning.

Thanks, I see that Strathclyde is on the list of contact numbers on the back of the GAR form.

10W wrote:(...) at Prestwick if you park with the Prestwick Flight Centre on Apron E by the ATC Tower, it should be
By Thomas
Delta Juliet wrote:Buy as much fuel as you can in Jersey, its much cheaper than in the rest of the UK.

This is actually a major reason for the stop at Jersey on the way to Scotland :-) I'll be uplifting 300+ L of fuel at Jersey.

Delta Juliet wrote:Also when you are leaving the UK from a major airport you can buy fuel without VAT. Some airports do theis others do not. Worth checking as it can save you a bit.

Thanks, I'll look into this. I was thinking of maybe routing via Alderney on the way back to refuel, but if there's a way to avoid the detour and still get relatively unexpensive fuel, that would be nice.

/Thomas