Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
The UK chancellor has told airlines to find other forms of funding and not turn first to the government for help getting through the coronavirus crisis.

Demand for tickets has collapsed forcing companies to ground aircraft.

Aviation bosses have been lobbying the government for a targeted aid package to stop firms going under as a result of the slump in demand.

But in a letter on Tuesday Rishi Sunak said the government would only step in as "a last resort".

Mr Sunak instead urged airlines to try and raise money from shareholders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52027342
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The aviation industry would be a fast consuming bottomless pit for government (taxpayers) money..The reality is air travel needs to become a lot more expensive!
Hawkwind, Dominie, reimomo and 2 others liked this
PaulB wrote:
The UK chancellor has told airlines to find other forms of funding and not turn first to the government for help getting through the coronavirus crisis.

Demand for tickets has collapsed forcing companies to ground aircraft.

Aviation bosses have been lobbying the government for a targeted aid package to stop firms going under as a result of the slump in demand.

But in a letter on Tuesday Rishi Sunak said the government would only step in as "a last resort".

Mr Sunak instead urged airlines to try and raise money from shareholders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52027342

Thats good news.
By Genghis the Engineer
You would think it would be staggeringly obvious to the airline senior managers that the only thing government want to hear from any industry right now is "here's what we think we can do to help."

At a very superficial level I can think of three things...

- Cabin crew rapid re-training as auxiliary nurses (they have most of the skills already)

- Maintenance bases retasking as R&O shops for medical equipment

- Offer of vehicles and drivers to support medical and food deliveries.

And more must be possible.

But going cap in hand to a government, who already knew that to meet last month's emergency of climate change they needed to find some way to impose airline demand management - well, hardly surprising they got told to turf off.

G
Flyin'Dutch', Hawkwind, Lockhaven and 2 others liked this
Genghis the Engineer wrote:

- Cabin crew rapid re-training as auxiliary nurses (they have most of the skills already)

G

My disdain of finance and macroeconomic discussions on a GA web forum is second only to seeing poorly thought suppositions being posted.
By Genghis the Engineer
RisePilot wrote:

G

My disdain of finance and macroeconomic discussions on a GA web forum is second only to seeing poorly thought suppositions being posted.

Cabin crew are fit, able to take instructions, trained in first aid and use of certain basic medical devices, hygiene practices, aviation CRM (which isn't all that different to best practice in medical CRM) and bright enough to take instructions. They are not nurses, but they could work under nurses doing relatively unskilled but labour intensive tasks - such as for example keeping a ward full of patents fed.

What am I missing? If "auxilliary nurse" is the wrong term, then, say, medical orderly?

G
By PaulB
It's an interesting concept. I wonder whether there is enough of a shortage of Nursing Assistants to make rejigging the apprenticeship worthwhile (It's usually an 18/12 apprenticeship, I think). I can't see it appealing long term to cabin crew.

In better news, I believe that the government's call for 250,000 volunteers to help the NHS has met the target in less than 24 hours.
Given how nervous some of my colleagues have been simply around customers, I wouldn’t bet that many of them would be keen to volunteer to be close to confirmed infected people.
cockney steve liked this
RisePilot wrote:

G

What am I missing?

G

My wife has worked for a major airline for 25 years. No, I do not agree with your extrapolation that flight attendants would make ideal nurses or healthcare workers.
peter272 wrote:Perhaps the aid should go to maintaining our regional airports.

The thread title is a little misleading, as is the press obsession with the airlines. The Government had committed to a support package for the aviation industry, specifically airlines and airports. The Transport Secretary confirmed this in his speech to the airports two weeks ago. The Government have now confirmed this will not happen. Many airports were ‘holding their nerve’ pending an announcement. The next week may be interesting, I note the AOA have already referred to the airports cutting spending on security updates (new scanners etc).