Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
His background is unusual. It’s not the traditional civil servant advisor, with long experience. He appears to be effectively a member of the cabinet, but with no mandate or accountability. He is being defended from criticism to an extent I’ve not seen before.

I’ve no idea what type of person he is, never heard him speak, his utterances are all hearsay.

All the above make me feel very uncomfortable.
johnm liked this
Err, you do know that Emu is the puppet? It’s not even a real emu, not that real emus are great puppetmasters at
johnm wrote:the best yet
of times.

This is silly. Shall we move on and stick to actual facts, like that nobody without a Brexit axe to grind really cares? :lol:
@Propwash I know you think that Johnm's judgement is clouded by his dislike for the current club at No.10; maybe he is not the only one who let's their political like/dislike influence their views.

The fly in the DC story is that he has family in London, not just in Durham. And apparently he was seen on a second occasion in Durham.

I personally don't care a ff what Cummings is up to, nor do I think sacking him for this or any of his other vileness is what is needed; his enablers are calling the shots and they are unlikely to go away any time soon.

@stevelup

Identifying, testing and quarantining folks coming into the UK does make sense.........................when infection rates are low in the UK which may happen at some point, currently travellers to/from the UK are more likely to be net exporters of COVID.

The current turn of events, quarantine for travellers but only after 1/6/2020 makes 0/zero sense but this is yet the next thing that they manage to mismanage; you may remember I have been a tad sceptical of their actions in relation to this whole episode.

There are now very good and reliable antibody tests available which require a whole 10 mins to do, the proverbial dog can do it with near no training. They cost 10 quid a pop, are made in the UK and are very reliable (high sensitivity and specificity) you can get 7 million a week.

So why they are not implemented at airports and other ports of entry is anybody's guess.
eltonioni, johnm, Cowshed liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
There are now very good and reliable antibody tests available which require a whole 10 mins to do, the proverbial dog can do it with near no training. They cost 10 quid a pop, are made in the UK and are very reliable (high sensitivity and specificity) you can get 7 million a week.

So why they are not implemented at airports and other ports of entry is anybody's guess.

Out of interest, at what point in infection do you have antibodies. I thought part of the issue with covid19 was the asymptomatic period before you developed symptoms?
I thought there was also suggestion that the antigen test doesn't detect early carriers?
I am not a virologist, but all the briefings we've had in public transport have effectively said there's not a quick reliable way to detect who is carrying it.
rikur_ wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:

Out of interest, at what point in infection do you have antibodies. I thought part of the issue with covid19 was the asymptomatic period before you developed symptoms?
I thought there was also suggestion that the antigen test doesn't detect early carriers?
I am not a virologist, but all the briefings we've had in public transport have effectively said there's not a quick reliable way to detect who is carrying it.

3 to 7 days after getting infected you get detectable levels of IgM antibodies.

So it is not ideal but a lot better what is done now - i.e. nothing; or what is proposed post 1/6 - sticking everybody in a room for 2 weeks indiscriminately;

The tests that I am talking about also looks for IgG - that comes up detectable after 21 days so indicates a past infection.

I nicked that chart from here -

https://www.biotrend.com/lesen/newslett ... -2264.html

It also shows why Asian countries do pax checks on airports with thermometers and rapid tests.

No doubt their science is different than that of the UK

:roll:

Maybe one day that the horizon doesn't stop at the coast line or just extends to the US.
johnm, rikur_ liked this