Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Well, just as our business was seeing some green shoots after effectively being shut down since mid March, we now can't work outside the UK due to the utterly pointless quarantine nonsense.

Why on earth are they introducing it now? Why wasn't it introduced two months ago? Why are we introducing further significant degradations in our liberty right at the moment everything is getting under control.

Frankly, this is a more important discussion than the utterly, utterly irrelevant Arcuri / Cummings bolleaux. I'm furious to be honest.
johnm, MikeB, eltonioni liked this
spaughty wrote:I think what got the media going was his wife's newspaper article about their Covid experience.

For some reason, she chose not to mention the trip to Durham, despite its essential importance.

Why was their location an essential importance to the story? Are symptoms and suffering greater or less in Durham than London?

Grasping at straws here I think.

PW
I'm curious about a number of things....

Who advised Cummings to drive to Durham when everyone else was being STRONGLY advised to go nowhere but the pharmacy and the supermarket, after all he had senior medics from PHE and lots of other well qualified helpful folks to advise him?

Why was Kochi airport in Kerala, India already testing arrivals on Feb 21st when we left there, while Heathrow and the UK was doing precisely nothing when we got back the following day?

Why is 14 days quarantine now useful, when air travel is almost non-existent but useless at the time the disease was really taking off and air travel was pretty much normal?

Why is the number of tests conducted considered important when we don't have a coherent system to follow them up with trace and isolate yet?

Why is there no coherent and simple message about wearing face masks and keeping as much distance from other folks as possible?

When am I likely to be able to visit my grandchildren or have them visit me, do I have to wait until my daughter and SiL catch it from his work in the local NHS facility and then go and collect them and look after them?

Edited to add:

I have a number of politically related questions too, but they aren't for here :D
Thoughts.

(1) His judgement was poor.

(2) The delay in this coming out, clearly shows political motivation. Somebody is digging for dirt.

(3) You're working 18 hour days, your wife is sick, you are concerned about the fact that you have a small child - normally looked after by your sick wife whilst you are working these long hours. Who the hell is calm and thoughtful about the best course of actions in such circumstances?

(4) Johnson should give him a public bollocking, and tell everybody to move on.

G
(1) His judgement was poor

At the risk of getting political, there was a time, not long ago, when that would have triggered a ministerial resignation. SpAds are neither one thing nor the other but they are basically political advisers and so ministerial standards rather than civil service discipline would seem appropriate.

Standards do seem to have been compromised somewhat in recent times I fear....
stevelup wrote:
johnm wrote:Who advised Cummings to drive to Durham

I couldn't care less if I tried. There isn't actually a word to describe how little I give a carp about this. Focus on something that matters...

I'm sort of looking at symptoms and then seeking to diagnose a disease(s) and the disease(s) affects us all because it controls how the govt impacts all our lives.....you have just been infected by 14days quarantine.....
Propwash wrote:
spaughty wrote:I think what got the media going was his wife's newspaper article about their Covid experience.

For some reason, she chose not to mention the trip to Durham, despite its essential importance.

Why was their location an essential importance to the story? Are symptoms and suffering greater or less in Durham than London?

Grasping at straws here I think.

PW

I believe it was Downing Street that said it was essential, and having to drive from London to Durham to arrange childcare is not exactly unimportant.

She chose to put their story in the public domain. Why do you think she left out the important "essential" bit?
johnm wrote:
(1) His judgement was poor

At the risk of getting political, there was a time, not long ago, when that would have triggered a ministerial resignation. SpAds are neither one thing nor the other but they are basically political advisers and so ministerial standards rather than civil service discipline would seem appropriate.

Standards do seem to have been compromised somewhat in recent times I fear....

Oh tosh.

Resignations, throughout history, have occurred when pressure becomes too great to carry on functioning. Actual demonstrated poor judgment or integrity, in anybody, of any political persuasion, has almost never been a reason to go.

G
Yep. Textbook DC.

For those non-twitterers.

He chastises a bunch of reporters who are blocking him from getting to his car whilst literally touching shoulders for not socially distancing, then when asked if his Durham trip 'looked good' says "Who cares about good looks, it's about doing the right thing. It's not about what you guys think"
A couple of amusing quotes from the legal profession:

The very Secretary of State who formally issued the Coronavirus regulations believes there is an exception for those (a) with developing symptoms to (b) travel long distances so as to (c) visit those who are the most vulnerable
Though in fairness we don't if they met granny or how much at risk aunty was.

If I were defending in the magistrates’ court this week, I would have these tweets screenshotted & ready to go for any clients charged under the Regulations. This is the position publicly taken by the Crown’s chief legal advisor and superintendent of the Crown Prosecution Service