Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
rikur_ wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:...all these IoT things reporting to their Chinese owners?

As an aside, having done far too much traffic analysis ... the Android things reporting to their Google owners, seem to out talk the Chinese things by a factor of 10.

Android free zone here.
rikur_, Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:Suggest you use these:
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products ... ocom2-kit/

Come pre-configured and ready to run out of the box. I have 20+ pairs of these out in the field and they are zero trouble.

My initial Unifi order has arrived from BroadbandBuyer (who have been a pleasure to deal with so far), but it seems that I have to install Java Runtime 8 in order to make the Unifi software to work.

For several years I have fastidiously avoided having anything to do with Java on security grounds, so it seems very strange that a company that is so keen on security makes one install Java.

Or am I mistaken?
By stevelup
You should have asked for the free cloud hosting. You wouldn't have had to install anything on your machine then!

The reason they use Java is because the product is cross platform (Windows, Mac, Linux / embedded hardware / Cloud).

I don't see how having the JRE on your machine introduces any security concerns though to be honest. It honours all the Apple sandbox stuff.

If you really don't want to install JRE, you could use either Vagrant or Docker to bring the controller up in a Linux virtual machine. Or perhaps you have a NAS or something - it's supported on Synology for example. But however you do it, it'll be running on Java.

If you want a -really- simple solution, you can buy the 'Cloud Key' which is a little embedded device. But it's a waste of money for anyone techie who can host this themselves.

One other alternative is to ask Broadband Buyer to retrospectively set you up with the free Cloud hosting. You can then adopt the devices you've already bought - it's a slight faff - but not massively so. Basically you need to SSH onto them and issue a 'set-inform' command. Their tech support will talk you through it.

All my hundreds of UniFi devices are running on their cloud platform.
By Colonel Panic
Hmmm, need to find that stone to crawl back under. :oops:

I did ask for the Cloud Hosting, and have now set it up and signed in, and can see my devices (US-8-60W and UAP-AC-LITE). I hadn't quite understood the difference between installing the Controller software locally (c/w Java), or using the Cloud controller; the latter looks much more convenient. :D

Many thanks!
By Flyin'Dutch'
@Colonel Panic

Mon Colonel - welcome to my world!

I know I cannot configure anything so did not even try, if it isn't plug there is no play here!
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:You'll be swapping your router next for one of their USGs...

:oops: I've been rumbled !!!! :D

I was going to hold off & get a Dream Machine, but if I stick with Cloud Hosting I don't need the Cloud Key element, where I was going to put it doesn't really need the wifi AP component, I would have needed an 8 port switch anyway, so AIUI all I really need to get is a USG at a third of the price.
By JonathanB
I have a USG, UAP-AC-LITE and the controller software running locally on a raspberry pi. The USG is set as the DMZ host in my router (Vodafone broadband). It all works really well.

I need to do a second wifi network with locked down/restricted internet access soon as the small person is using a tablet now and then... Not sure if I need to start using VLANS etc so might need to get a UniFi switch...
By stevelup
You will need VLANs but that doesn't mean you need a new switch.

An unmanaged switch will just transparently pass through the VLAN stuff. You'd only need to change your switch if you wanted physical segregation of certain VLANs which I doubt you do.
By JonathanB
Ok, cool. I just need to set up a virtual interface on the Pi then and then use it as a proxy (have been playing with setting up squid and squidGuard).