Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi everyone,

Last year I wrote a post about what it's like to convert to a US FAA private pilot licence, and it ended up being stickied to the top of this forum so I guess it was useful to some!

I recently got back from Australia, where I did the same thing. I just finished doing a write-up of my conversion experiences over there too. Here it is, for anyone curious about flying Down Under:

http://www.gkristiansen.co.uk/2019/11/f ... ralia.html

Thanks for looking :D
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, JAFO and 3 others liked this
Thanks for reading guys!

I think the security requirements are the same for both routes - i.e. you can have an ASIC or an AVID to apply. The difference is (I think) that an ASIC is required for accessing airside at secured airports while an AVID is a simpler background check that permits you to fly, but doesn't let you get into these secure areas.

They are a similar cost (I think right now the ASIC is $256 while the AVID is $206), so only go for the AVID if you 100% know you won't be flying through secured airports.

Of the airports I flew from, they all required an ASIC apart from Mareeba near Cairns. Near the major cities, chances are that all airports with flying schools will require ASIC.

These two links are useful:

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/y ... s-answered

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/y ... s-answered
So, one can obtain a full Australian PPL without doing any local exams, only a flight review?

George's write-up is very interesting and certainly suggests no exams are required, which surprises me a little.

When I converted my licence (I just wanted the PPL) I had to do an air law exam. Mind you this was under their previous licensing system (Part 5). Now under the Part 61 system it may well be different as it is more like the EASA licensing system and less Oz's own.
george7378 liked this
From memory a few years ago:
I stumbled at the ASIC stage when trying to get it all sorted before going out, in the end I was time constrained.
What really made me give up was the requirement to get certain documents endorsed whilst in the UK using an Australian registered 'professional'.
I wrote to the Australian CAA asking them where I can find such professionals in the UK. The reply was basically 'if you don't know anyone you can go to the embassy...'
Yeah, it wasn't really a fun process by any stretch. I was working way out in the bush for 4 weeks at a time before having 2 weeks off, so I had to do everything with huge month-long gaps too. The ASIC expires every 2 years as well I think - but you don't need to renew it unless you need access to a secure airport.

Luckily they don't make it difficult to get endorsed documents when you're actually there - it seems like you need them for any official correspondence so even in small towns/villages there should be someone who can give you a signature (even if they charge for it).