Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flying4fun
I use Volmet South (128.60) quite a lot and as I am quite new to Flying I am wondering who is the lady announcer for Volmet.

Are the recorded messages 10,20,30 years old?

What does she look like, then and now?

Is she connected in any way to aviation?

Any ideas...?

:?: Alan :?:
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It used to be a guy's voice until a few years ago, then it changed to that quite nice sounding girl. I asked exactly the same question when I was touring LATCC at West Drayton a few years ago. The answer to the question seemed to be known, but the answer was not forth-coming.
By Keef
I heard it was some lady called Cynthia Sizer.
By flying4fun
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice One!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By vintage ATCO
Our ATIS is done by one of our ladies (they are recorded wav files) but I would never reveal her name. :P
By Rupert S
Ah but Keef, Cynthia Sizers need to be sampled from someone real-loik.

I wish you would reveal, VA!
By Keef
I recognise most of the voices on Sahfen' ATIS. Must be my age, or summat.
By Keef
Rupert S wrote:Cynthia Sizers need to be sampled from someone real-loik.

Wot, like Charlotte Green, you mean?
By vintage ATCO
Rupert S wrote:I wish you would reveal, VA!

All right, it's Mavis, but I didn't tell you that. :wink:
By Vince C
Keef wrote:
Rupert S wrote:Cynthia Sizers need to be sampled from someone real-loik.

Wot, like Charlotte Green, you mean?

Charlotte Green! :thumright:

Be still, my beating heart! That Brian Perkins isn't about, is he?

The Manch ATIS used to be human until recently. Now, in it's 'Metal Mickey' form, it's not as informative as it was. On a good looking VFR day you'll get: "Visibility, 10 km" oh, groan! "....or more".

Well thanks for that!

It used to be good, after a superb see-for-ever flight, to listen to the ATIS to get it confirmed that it was "40km". Or, exceptionaly, "60km".

Still, I suppose, to the 'head in the office' get-that-SLF-shifted-from-A-to-B-ASAP brigade, 10km "or more" suffices.

But I think, really, even those guys would be happier to hear "70km" rather than that dumbed-down fits-most-days "10km or more".

Vince
By hollywood285
i've always found if its a ladys voice, dont every imagen what she looks like cos you will be disappointed!!! It happened to me last year, used to speak to a lovely sounding spares girl from a supplier, I used to think 5'10" long blonde hair, sexy, what a shock when I finally met her!!! Still wake up in the middle of the night cold sweating!! :oops:
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
hollywood285 wrote:i've always found if its a ladys voice, dont every imagen what she looks like cos you will be disappointed!!! It happened to me last year, used to speak to a lovely sounding spares girl from a supplier, I used to think 5'10" long blonde hair, sexy, what a shock when I finally met her!!! Still wake up in the middle of the night cold sweating!! :oops:

Same thing happened to me on arriving at one of the southern UK aerodromes. On meeting her, you could see why they kept her in the 'tower'.
By Slider
I have great memories of listening to the bloke that used to do the VOLMETS.....I'd visualise him sitting in the dimly lit basement of a control tower reading the reports.........my dad managed to convince me that when Mr Volmet announced 'Mist'..........it meant someone had thrown a piece of rolled up paper at him.
I should stress that I was about 8 at the time with my first airband radio.

When it was revealed the service was automated, my illusions were shattered in the same way as when I was informed that Santa Claus didnt actually exist.

However, I have grown to love 'Miss Volmet' and imagine she looks like either Kate Beckinsale or Katie Dereham :wink:
By vintage ATCO
About 20 years or so ago Shannon Aeradio on HF use to have someone reading out the met. reports. It wasn't a continuous broadcast, certain groups of airfields were read out set times past the hour.

You would hear coughs, etc., and if a mistake was made, you would hear in an Irish brogue 'I'm sorry, I'll read that again'!!
By Carole P
Iceman much the same could be said for the deep throated Male Airline Skippers, sound gorgeous and always end up being old enough to be your dad with no hair and a beer belly :lol: