Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
Thanks Paul, all good comments that I agree with.

The reason I really wanted that wind data, and the reason I chose the AvMap, was because I have a couple of strips where I don’t want to put a windsock up, and to know the wind before I land would have been really useful indeed.

Looks like I’ll have to keep on relying on an averaged-out AeroWeather summary from local airports and a good 4G reception when I’m 3 miles out. :D
By 146fixer
I updated the panel in my permit aircraft. I fitted an MGL EFIS Lite with a Garmin G5 for back up. Garmin G5 easy to install. Worked straight away. I love it.
The MGL EFIS is a pain. It works fairly were. But requires so much time to set it up. The installation instructions aren’t up to much. If it wasn’t for the US dealers website, which has some very good information on it. The instal would have taken longer than it did. Someone mentioned at the beginning of the thread that they had an avionics company fit their MGL and subsequent had issues with it. We’ll i have some sympathy for the company that did the work. The UK dealer started out very helpful but is now loosing interest. MGL not terrible but hard work. Garmin G5 great
By TheFarmer
@146fixer , does your G5 have the remote magnetometer? If so, where did you install it in the airframe?

I dearly wish I’d gone Garmin now. :doh: :doh: :doh: This other cheaper kit seems so Betamax.

As for avionics chaps, I also have sympathy for mine. He’s the most diligent chap you’ll ever meet, and I know he’s as frustrated as I am.

DaveW is dying to type, “I told you so” about the Garmin, but he won’t because he’s a gentl......

Actually, no he’s not. Scrap that. :D
Dave W liked this
By Miscellaneous
TheFarmer wrote:I dearly wish I’d gone Garmin now. :doh: :doh: :doh: This other cheaper kit seems so Betamax.

Minimise the pain. Cut your losses, sell it and buy the Garmin. You know that's what you'll eventually do anyway. :wink:
By Dave W
Page 74 of the manual.

SkyDemon wrote:The Wind instrument uses downloaded forecasts to show the average wind at your current position and altitude.

It's very handy, but it isn't live or directly measured data.
TheFarmer liked this
By TheFarmer
Miscellaneous wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:I dearly wish I’d gone Garmin now. :doh: :doh: :doh: This other cheaper kit seems so Betamax.

Minimise the pain. Cut your losses, sell it and buy the Garmin. You know that's what you'll eventually do anyway. :wink:

:D

I know, and that’s the problem!

The thing is, the G5 won’t actually do anything more than the Avmap, even with the compass unable to be calibrated. But it’s annoying to have an instrument that only partially works.

My next investment will be Rosetta, because I’ve got the Avmap GPS-linked to the Trig TT21.
By Shoestring Flyer
TheFarmer wrote: But it’s annoying to have an instrument that only partially works.

My next investment will be Rosetta, because I’ve got the Avmap GPS-linked to the Trig TT21.

We will all I am sure be interested to hear how that goes!
Last edited by Shoestring Flyer on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By riverrock
TheFarmer wrote:@146fixer , does your G5 have the remote magnetometer? If so, where did you install it in the airframe?

In our Bulldog we've put it in the wing tip. No issues calibrating, once the guy who was doing it realised that "port" on the setup screen didn't mean port wing, but the direction the magnetometer was mounted. He couldn't understand why everything was 90 Deg out!

Only just installed so I've not used it yet (lockdown).
By exfirepro
Dave W wrote:I know it uses an updated Raspberry Pi, but what are the functional differences between a Rosetta and a PilotAware re-packaged into a single physical unit (less powerpack)?

The main benefit (which was asked for by potential users and in response to the old ‘explosion in a Maplin shop’ jibes) is that everything (except the power source) is in the one box, with external antennas directly attached. This just looks so much more professional.

Additional practical benefits include more reliable on-board WiFi.

The newer RPi also has built-in Bluetooth, which can be used to connect the audio alerts direct to suitable headsets.

Removal of the external WiFi dongle frees up an additional USB port which can be used for direct FLARM-In (via a FLARMmouse or similar) or for ADSB-Out position connection to a suitable transponder, while still leaving a second ‘spare’ USB if needed for future developments.

It also has a better quality, more reliable, SDR Receiver.

Oh, and the new Rosetta cases come with suckers for easy attachment to a side window in closed cockpit aircraft if required.
Dave W liked this
By TheFarmer
@exfirepro

Thanks for that. I’ve ordered a Rosetta but I’m now confused about FLARM. I thought if I just paid my extra bit of money annually that I’d get FLARM contacts showing up too. Is that not the case? Do I have to buy more hardware?

This is all getting as confusing as I feared it might. :?