Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By MikePhillipson

So I have a UK PPL(A) and used to fly from Headcorn.. owned my own aircraft (Pietenpol Aircamper) and flew mostly vintage OC - Tigers, Stampe.. some formation and also Aero's... now I stopped flying around 2000, so if I want to get my licence revalidated back to PPL(A) equivalent what do I need to do?

Is It simply getting my medical, potentially airlaw refresher and I'd assume pass a full GFT?... I'm assuming I wouldn't need to redo Radio Lic or QXC..?

Any info greatly appreciated..

Many thanks

User avatar
By Irv Lee
No to the full GFT content, just sufficient training/derusting, and an abbreviated test called a proficiency check which will include some vfr nav, during which the examiner will check u spik Inglisch oh-quay
MikePhillipson liked this
By MikeW
If your licence is genuine CAA, not UK issued JAR or EASA, you only need a self declare medical. I have just done it after an 11 year gap.
In that event there is no need to convert to an EASA licence, if the CAA tells you that you must - as they did to me - they are wrong.
MikePhillipson liked this
User avatar
By nickwilcock
If you want to fly only non-EASA aircraft, then you won't need a Part-FCL licence.

But after Apr 2020, if you want to fly an EASA aircraft (e.g. a Cessna 152, Piper PA-28 etc.), you will need a Part-FCL licence.

Unless yet further confusion erupts if the idiot UK government is stupid enough to pull out of EASA, that is....
MikePhillipson liked this
By MikePhillipson
that's great .. thanks for the info guys... yes it's a genuine old brown CAA PPL, i'll have a chat with Headcorn and my old flying club .. they can also put me in touch with a local medical examiner to get that bit out of the way too..

Thanks again for the info :) much appreciated!