Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By johnm
felixflyer wrote:If you're talking about the Brexit party then people are queuing up to pay them £25 joining fee. Over 100,000 so far.

That has been published in the Sun I believe and he's done well at attracting right wing nutters from tory party. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out when the electoral commission publishes his accounts in due course.....
By cockney steve
Perhaps if intelligent, educated and competent people had been in charge of the "stay" campaign, We, the mushrooms, would have been informed of today's version of the Truth....Brussels does not rule us,...we are free to reject unwanted immigrants (despite the French allowing hordes of rubber dinghys to escape their waters) all EC rules are voted in by our own politicians....Oh! wait!
They wouldn't actually have dished the dirt on the lies and half-truths, incompetence, ineptitude and corruption of the other gravy-train riders,- Oh no! Glasshouses and stones?

Before we get the stout defence that there's no gravy- train.....if it's that poor a deal, how come there's always a scrum of mates ready to jump aboard? :twisted:
By felixflyer
And there we go. Next week the people will vote Brexit again. They will be ignored again and will again be told they are stupid, racist & gullible and have been misled by a party financed by Russians and shady donors.

At some point you would think the FBPE types would realise they are their own worst enemy.
By PaulB
johnm wrote:
felixflyer wrote:If you're talking about the Brexit party then people are queuing up to pay them £25 joining fee. Over 100,000 so far.

That has been published in the Sun I believe and he's done well at attracting right wing nutters from tory party. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out when the electoral commission publishes his accounts in due course.....

Here's C4 News' take on it..... Nigel's running expenses are more than the pint of beer and 20 B&H that he'd like you to believe

https://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-far ... s-revealed

His body language when being followed and quizzed by MattFrei on C4 News last night was, er... interesting.
By PaulB
felixflyer wrote:And there we go. Next week the people will vote Brexit again. They will be ignored again and will again be told they are stupid, racist & gullible and have been misled by a party financed by Russians and shady donors.

At some point you would think the FBPE types would realise they are their own worst enemy.

I guess that if you add up all the Brexit votes and all the remain votes it'll be again a win for leave, but we'll wait and see.

Mr FelixFlyer..... would you "just leave"?

... and if so how would you mitigate the fact that most successful economies have trading agreements with their geographically closest and largest trading partners.
By eltonioni
PaulB wrote:
johnm wrote:

Here's C4 News' take on it..... Nigel's running expenses are more than the pint of beer and 20 B&H that he'd like you to believe

https://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-far ... s-revealed

His body language when being followed and quizzed by MattFrei on C4 News last night was, er... interesting.

All C4 are achieving is to reinforce Farage's appeal, and reinforcing the opinions of people who weren't voting for him anyway. It's a big fat "so what" in respect of the vote. Literally nobody is going to say to themselves "Ooo, Mabel, I'm not voting for that Farage bloke after watching Channel 4 chasing him down the street incisively probing about his Chelsea flat and Aaron Banks expense account". Literally nobody.

And apparently it's Leavers who are a bit thick. The people trying to skewer Farage couldn't be getting it more wrong if they tried. That's bubbles!
Last edited by eltonioni on Fri May 17, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulB
Absolutely... we're back to confirmation bias... it's all over the place.
eltonioni liked this
By JoeC
eltonioni wrote: Literally nobody is going to say to themselves "Ooo, Mabel, I'm not voting for that Farage bloke after watching Channel 4 chasing him down the street incisively probing about his Chelsea flat and Aaron Banks expense account". Literally nobody.

Exactly. As if they watch the news!
By PaulB
JoeC wrote:
eltonioni wrote: Literally nobody is going to say to themselves "Ooo, Mabel, I'm not voting for that Farage bloke after watching Channel 4 chasing him down the street incisively probing about his Chelsea flat and Aaron Banks expense account". Literally nobody.

Exactly. As if they watch the news!

Esp C4 News..... it's not even on after Gogglebox!
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:The fault is on all sides, in particular the EU officials and politicians briefed with not to accept the decision.

:?:

The EU has put its cards on the table - a long time ago and it is up to the UK to decide if it wants to leave with a deal in accordance with those cards or leave without a deal.

It really is not difficult.

Bit rich to blame the non-leaving of the UK on 29/3 on the EU, it was the UK parliament 'lead' by TM who decided they did not want to proceed and asked for an extension.

The EU is happy to give an extension as they know that a no-Deal Brexit will be very damaging to the UK and the EU.
By felixflyer
This covers the period between the ref and the Brexit party. I don't want to give the impression i'm a big Farage fan as i'm not particularly but I do realise that the only reason he is relevant again is because we didn't leave.

People are now trying to vilify him but to be fair if we had done what the majority voted for then he would be old news and the Brexit party wouldn't have been created.

Mr FelixFlyer..... would you "just leave"

I have said on here before that ND would have been the way forward from day 1. It's likely had we shown wwe were working firmly towards that we would have left with a better deal than any that has been tabled so far. That would have taken someone with an ounce of negotiating skill however and without a vocal section of society calling for an end to democracy.

and if so how would you mitigate the fact that most successful economies have trading agreements with their geographically closest and largest trading partners.

As we would with the EU. Along with anyone else we chose on terms that benefit both parties involved.
By eltonioni
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
eltonioni wrote:The fault is on all sides, in particular the EU officials and politicians briefed with not to accept the decision.

:?:

The EU has put its cards on the table - a long time ago and it is up to the UK to decide if it wants to leave with a deal in accordance with those cards or leave without a deal.

It really is not difficult.

Bit rich to blame the non-leaving of the UK on 29/3 on the EU, it was the UK parliament 'lead' by TM who decided they did not want to proceed and asked for an extension.

The EU is happy to give an extension as they know that a no-Deal Brexit will be very damaging to the UK and the EU.

I think, perhaps, you are mistaking me for HMG's negotiating team.

Out of interest, is there any criticism at all that you would level at the EU?
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:
Out of interest, is there any criticism at all that you would level at the EU?

In general or in how they have dealt with Brexit?

In general - yes.

In dealing with Brexit - no.
By PaulB
eltonioni wrote:Out of interest, is there any criticism at all that you would level at the EU?

I'm not sure whose fault it was, but looking back I'm not sure that agreeing to a deal that couldn't be altered, but that needed ratifying by (the UK) Parliament (which was not a given) wasn't the best decision.
By johnm
Much of the problem relates to confusion between the legally binding withdrawal agreement and the statement of future intent that is the political declaration.

Because there is no future deal in place the withdrawal agreement has to consider the scenario where the long term deal doesn’t make a seamless border on the island of Ireland automatic.

If the PM hadn’t ended up in hock to the DUP this might have been manageable without too much drama, as it is......