Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By Cub
#1657527
skydriller wrote:I am a big believer that Airspace should be Class G when ATC are not there to manage it. NO ATC, NO controlled airspace.

Regards, SD..


I am pretty sure that Airspace Regulation would agree with you and this is actively enforced in the UK.
#1657529
James Chan wrote:
I am a big believer that Airspace should be Class G when ATC are not there to manage it. NO ATC, NO controlled airspace.


Yes. I'm not aware of any civilian aerodromes who's airspace remains active after their unit has closed.

Some military ATZs remain active though.

Never could find out if the Solent CTR/CTA still existed when Southampton was closed.
Most not some ATZs around military airfields are H24 if you look at ENR 2.2 and if they have a MATZ, it will only exist when the airfield is open for operational flying ie not when there is only recreational flying or gliding in progress.
#1657544
James Chan wrote:I'm not aware of any civilian aerodromes who's airspace remains active after their unit has closed

Farnborough:

EGLF AD 2.3 OPERATIONAL HOURS
"Mon-Fri 0700-2200 (0600-2100); Sat, Sun and PH 0800-2000 (0700- 1900)."

AD 2.EGLF-8
"The ATZ is hereby notified as being active H24 for the purposes of Rule 11 of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2015."

Why?
#1657548
Talkdownman wrote:
James Chan wrote:I'm not aware of any civilian aerodromes who's airspace remains active after their unit has closed

Farnborough:

EGLF AD 2.3 OPERATIONAL HOURS
"Mon-Fri 0700-2200 (0600-2100); Sat, Sun and PH 0800-2000 (0700- 1900)."

AD 2.EGLF-8
"The ATZ is hereby notified as being active H24 for the purposes of Rule 11 of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2015."

Why?

:silent:
#1657549
Regardless of the opening hours of the aerodrome, the AIP entry seems to suggest the ATSU is still active, with permission to transit outside certain hours only obtainable by telephone.

Not great.
#1657571
James Chan wrote:Regardless of the opening hours of the aerodrome, the AIP entry seems to suggest the ATSU is still active, with permission to transit outside certain hours only obtainable by telephone.

Not great.

The same holds true for all military airfields with H24 notification in ENR 2.2.
#1657589
chevvron wrote:The same holds true for all military airfields with H24 notification in ENR 2.2.

Maybe, but we are talking about a civil airport here which has already 'grabbed' (and wasted) 9 hours-worth of Class G airspace each and every day.
#1657594
They've also 'grabbed' so much tarmac that they sit on almost 24,000 unused movements every year.

Even if they wanted to fill it, I'm not going to pay their minimum £595 inc.VAT to land there.
#1657637
I know you chaps are not being completely serious, but for others reading this thread, the same controller might also be........carrying out the Approach Radar function at the same time, talking to vehicles, answering outside line telephone calls, controlling the traffic lights of an airside road taxiway crossing (that’s not visible from the seated position), liaising with Approach Radar, if split, for departure clearances and releases, liaising with UK FMP or AFPEX regarding CTOTs and flight plans, talking to TAG ops regarding parking positions, or walking to the edge of the other side of the Tower to see which way a certain aircraft has parked, or is meant to park, or weather it can start an engine before pushback, or any number of other duties. Frequently they are the only person in the VCR.

Yes, it can be quiet, but it can also be very complex as well, given all the extra tasks.
#1657642
Mike Tango wrote:... kettle on.

... kettle boiled.

.. tea brewed.

Not permitted in operational areas at Farnborough. For the tower controller, getting a cup of tea (and having a pee) means travelling down to the base of the tower, at least a 5 minute excursion. :twisted: