Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

#1615822
simdam wrote:Let's say both pilots of an airliner are incapacitated.
The airplane crew start asking: - Can ayone fly the plane?
Let's say I volounteer.
Assuming a successful landing, can I log this hours in my logbook?
Does that time count towards the 45h I need to get my PPL?

You' would be acting outside the privileges of your licence and therefore it could not count and you would be liable to prosecution. :D
#1615840
malcolmfrost wrote:
Does that time count towards the 45h I need to get my PPL?

No, just as the 13 hours I'll spend flying to BKK tomorrow night won't count towards my 12 hours SEP in 24 months !!


Can't you shut the other engine(s) down? I guess the piston/turbine thing may be an issue.
#1615841
You could log them (don’t think any court would dispute that you had legitimately assumed command of the aircraft....), they won’t count for licensing purposes... and certainly not for your PPL as solo hours must be supervised by an FI!!
#1615843
simdam wrote:Let's say both pilots of an airliner are incapacitated.
The airplane crew start asking: - Can ayone fly the plane?
Let's say I volounteer.
Assuming a successful landing, can I log this hours in my logbook?
Does that time count towards the 45h I need to get my PPL?


Gets my vote for the best first post of a new forumite ever.
Welcome to the forum and keep it up! :thumleft:

Morten
Rob P, TopCat, ChrisT and 1 others liked this
#1615851
Smaragd wrote:You' would be acting outside the privileges of your licence and therefore it could not count and you would be liable to prosecution. :D

Is it still the case that you can break any rule in the book if it's necessary to save life?
#1615875
you can only log it if you have practiced on flight simulator. If you have then no problem. Probably best to identify yourself to the captain prior to the flight, just so he knows there is fully competent back up available if he gets in trouble.
#1615890
A bit harsh, John.

Tongue in cheek, certainly, but orders of magnitude better than many other posts here and it (and the answers) made me laugh at least.
Last edited by Morten on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat liked this
#1616363
I know of somebody who did this, it got logged. Who is ever going to query it?

[Mind you the specifics - a USAF B2 test pilot originally flying as a pax, acting as P2 in a B737 'cos the co-pilot keeled over with food poisoning, is perhaps more obscure than most here would have been thinking of. I don't think that the gent in question was in need of hours towards his PPL anyhow.]

G