Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Ever since Pontius was training to be a pilot it's been common practice for PPL applicants to continue to fly as PIC (ie, to fly as student pilots, with no passengers) in the gap between passing the Skill Test and physically obtaining the license. Remembering that for the initial issue of a PPL the holder cannot excercise the privileges until he actually holds the bit of paper.

So my question is; how many of you did that? I'll be the first to put my hand up; I did (admittedly, a long time ago). Others?
I did just to get into the air as I thought it was to take a month or so to get my licence through the letter box. Was authorised by an instuctor as a student solo five days after sending the application to the CAA. Two days later received my licence and took my first passenger on the eighth day. Must have been a slow month for QXCs in January ‘99.
Like Nick I received my licence within three or four days of the test (heady days of CAA service) and as my first passenger I took my ten year old niece for her first light aircraft flight the same day the licence arrived.

By coincidence just a couple of weeks ago (and some thirty five years later) I took her ten year old son flying also for his first light GA flight!
David Wood wrote:This is all very useful ****. Thanks; keep it coming! There is good reason for asking.

If you can give an indication of roughly when (year will do) that would be very helpful also.

Thanks chaps.

Oh lord... I see that you'll have the guess the auto-donked word :shock: . Hmmm, let's think. Maybe it was something to do with eating and returning..? But clearly too offensive to be allowed on the forum. :lol:
Not me. My medical got suspended so I had six moths between cross country and GFT. and I had moved so had to travel to take the GFT. And as a result was not near a school I knew. I took my GFT with a suspended medical in the end. Not sure if I would ever fly again!

A curious thread! I wonder if someone has been caught?