The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By ConcordeBA
Hello All,

I've been recording my flights with a H1 Zoom recorder, however everytime it only records one channel? I only have a cable coming out of the bigger port on the dual male plug, would this make a difference? if so, what's the best solution to getting left and right channel into a 3.5mm plug input for the recorder, as mono recordings are sounding awful.

Cheers
By T67M
In aircraft, the smaller socket is the microphone (ring) and push-to-talk (tip), while the larger socket is the mono headphone (tip). Ground is the sleeve on both sockets. A very small number of aircraft have a stereo intercom, in which case the larger socket will have an additional ring connection for "the other ear".

Most headphones have plugs with the extra ring on the larger (headphone) connection, and a mono/stereo switch to select which mode it's working in. In stereo mode, tip goes to the left ear, ring goes to the right, while in mono mode, tip goes to both ears and ring is disconnected.

Assuming your aircraft, like most, has only got a mono intercom, you will need to connect the tip of the larger plug to both the tip AND ring of the 3.5mm plug into the recorder, otherwise you will just record silence on the right-hand channel as the aircraft has no connection to the headphone socket ring. Or you can fix it in the edit.
Photograph? Sure. But also make like a tree and count the rings.

As mentioned, you'll need to connect the tip of the large (6.35mm or 1/4 inch) plug to both the tip and ring of the 3.5mm plug.

Do you have a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptor, then a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?

If so, you may be able to use something like this at the 6.35 to 3.5mm adaptor end:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-mono-plug-to-35mm-stereo-socket-adapter-fk14q

Or if you have a stereo 6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptor at the moment, and you want to put something on the 6.35mm end:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/635mm-mono-plug-to-635mm-stereo-socket-adapter-fk11m
By ConcordeBA
Apologies for the very late response. I have a 6.35mm plug to 3.5mm cable. What end would you recommend, as I also have a -40db Attenuator to reduce the distortion. (3.5mm) both sides, because not only does it record in mono - it sounds Carp.

I am hoping to record the audio on my next outing with minimal editing and add it to the videos.