Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By KNT754G
What a lovely little airfield.

Ferried a PA28 down there yesterday for a repaint (OK I didn't ferry the PA28 I was the taxi home), friendly folk (park up this side by the restaurant and we will drive over to bring the other pilot back here), helpful attitudes, moderate landing fees and a restaurant that most airfields should want to die for.

If I am invovled in the recovery operation once the Warrior is repainted I shall make sure I have enough time for the carvery!
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I couldn't agree more - it's a lovely little field. I have always been made most welcome there, and it was the first place I went to from the SE after passing by GFT in 96, primarily because it's the closest licenced field to my family home. The restaurant is superb, and all the staff very friendly.

Highest licenced field in the UK.

They have an annual airshow which is worth a visit, and there used to be (still is?) a small museum. A brother of one of the post-WW2 American Presidents was killed whilst flying from there in WW2.

Iceman 8)
By rohmer
Ice, no annual display unfortunately but we do run the LAA Devon Strut Regional Rally which this year will be over 3-5th July. Arrival info will be posted on http://www.devonstrut.co.uk once all the details are finalised.
By adhawkins
Went in there today, various notes around the place advising of them ceasing operations. Couldn't work out if this was for the Flying School, Cafe, Airfield or some combination of all three.

Any info anyone? Very nice destination, would be a real shame to lose it.

Andy
By rohmer
The restaurant is to close tonight and come under new management with a total refurbishment inside and out. It will then re-open as The Aviator Coffee Bar and Restaurant. Coffee bar area (Costa coffee style with breakfasts, snacks, eat in or take-away) is to open on 8th Oct and restaurant on 1st November. Area outside will be landscaped. Good food and good quality of service are to be paramount. A change for the better welcomed by all the flying community at Dunkeswell. Please come and enjoy!
By Peter Gristwood
Just recieved from Devon & Somerset Flight Training Website (http://www.dsft.co.uk) this news on the restaurant... :thumleft: :cheers:

New Airfield Restaurant. The Aviator coffee bar and restaurant is under NEW MANAGEMENT and due to open on the 8th October 2011. Formerly known as the Dunkeswell Air Centre, The Aviator will have a substantial re-fit and re-model. The Aviator will be split into a coffee bar and a restaurant. The Coffee Bar opening on the 8th October 2011, an aviation-themed Costa Coffee-style coffee bar and take away.

The restaurant will be opening on the 1st of November 2011. Comfortable fine dining with good service is our aim. Many of our dishes will be our interpretation of a variety of traditional dishes. We can cater for weddings, functions and Christmas parties.

Members of the Flying School, SkyDive Centre and businesses on the airfield will be given a discount loyalty card.

We look forward to seeing you there and hope to satisfy your culinary expectations.
By Iceman
The main restaurant had been gutted when I visited today, and major work is in progress. In the meantime, the parchute club does refreshments.

Iceman 8)
By Peter Gristwood
Coffe bar now open, although work is in progress.

Food and drinks now being served although the bar is not functional yet. There is a temporary website showing the vision and a photo of the coffee bar as it was on Saturday

www.tacbar.com
By Pete L
Cafe / restaurant really good and a very friendly welcome for fuel and food - although the UL91 was the main draw for us. Very tempting as a lunch stop next time.

Busy - pair of King Airs dropping freefallers more or less continuously.
By joe-fbs
Visited last weekend. Very nice as described above. The eatery is very nicely appointed and looks to do good stuff. We were distinctly peckish when we arrived so kept it simple with ham, egg and chips. Perfectly decent but nothing special. Lots going on: parachuting, light aeroplanes, Karting and heaven knows what else. Oh yes, a separate gliding operation on the edge of the ATZ. I was slightly disconcerted on the way in with the jump aeroplane announcing a drop as I was heading downwind, I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to hold or what and could get nothing from the AG operator but as there were aeroplanes ahead and behind I continued to land. Then I noticed the parachutists landing alongside the runway. Worst landing I've done in ages! Oh and the aeromed' heli' which it turned out was collecting a damaged parachutist. That may have explained the distraction of the AG operator. Anyway no harm done. To get fuel, go into the flying school, ask and someone comes out to serve it. Landing fee a mere £10.

Lovely part of the world, England really is so beautiful. Excellent destination.