Where have you been? What have you seen?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I've just looked at my GPS logbook. It took me twenty four minutes to fly between Henstridge and the strip at Lydeway (near Devizes) today. It would usually take a bit less, but with a nice bit of sunshine and my camera handy I took a few pictures along the way. It's amazing what you can see in 24 minutes...

OK, it's nothing like New England, but the autumnal gold is still dripping from the trees

Alfred's Tower, I have flown over it hundreds of times, I really must get around to visiting on foot one day

A few miles from Alfred's Tower is Longleat - Gorilla Island is top right

Cars queuing up to be re-modeled by monkeys. Longleat looked pretty busy, the combination of good weather and half term I guess.

Westbury's White Horse - the local cement factory provided an excellent landmark, but now that's closed the White Horse will have to do.

The pond in Devizes is called the Crammer, some say it's the origin of the Moonraker legend

Devizes Tennis club, but tucked away bottom left is the Wiltshire Police Helicopter

...and finally, Devizes Castle now divided into a few homes

It was a great day for flying, only wish I could have flown for longer...
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lovely photographs :D

Alfred's Tower, I have flown over it hundreds of times, I really must get around to visiting on foot one day

Well worth it.
By Rob L
Nice. Lovely autumnal colours. A local bimble has all the requisites for a good trip report, as does a long trip.

Alfred's Tower...is that not the one that is converted to a residence?
By AndyR
Rob L wrote:
Alfred's Tower...is that not the one that is converted to a residence?

According to the National Trust website it is still open to all.
By MichaelP
Another brilliant set of pictures.
We should all appreciate where we are and the privilege we have to see it from above.
I miss England.
By Steven Day
Lovely shots. But don't you normally migrate south - reverse route - for winter? ;)
By PaulB
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Nice pics.

Have to dust off the ol' headset.

Lovely pics... I must try harder!

FD, what are you flying, these days?

P.
By Iceman
Great pictures G-BLEW. The driveway to Longleat House made for an interesting runway during the Red Bull air races. I have flown over Longleat many times, and everytime, the thought goes through my mind that a forced landing into the lion or monkey enclosures would not be a good idea :lol:

Iceman 8)
By Lefty
G BLEW, is that your strip south of the B3098 and east of the village of Urchfont? I thought you had a hangar on yours?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
G BLEW, is that your strip south of the B3098 and east of the village of Urchfont? I thought you had a hangar on yours?

No, that's Urchfont. Lydeway is a mile or so further north, just (yards) north of the railway line. There's no hangar, although there is a small mobile clubhouse.

Ian
By cirrostratus
Great Photos........... had always thought that Devizes only had two claims to fame......... Wadworths and the Caen Hill flight on the K & A.
By Flyin'Dutch'
PaulB wrote:
Q: FD, what are you flying, these days?

P.

A: Not enough!

:D

DR400 and Cirrus SR22 both from Turweston when I have time.
By Lefty
G-BLEW wrote:

No, that's Urchfont. Lydeway is a mile or so further north, just (yards) north of the railway line. There's no hangar, although there is a small mobile clubhouse.

Ian

Thanks -[ spotted it. Of course I could have been smart and looked at Navbox - there it is staring at me.
Looks great, plenty of space - when are you having the open day?
By Capt Edmund
Nice pictures there. I haev a very similar one of Longleat taken from about 1000 ft AGL with a C130J coming in the opposite direction at a much lesser height.