Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By ROG
Left there 54 years ago---the thought then that i might land there in a light plane 54 years later is a bit mind blowing--must do it.
By Merlin83b
£32 for an instrument equipped airport and £4 per day parking. Not too bad, will be there in the summer :)
By dunny
Thinking of heading there on Sunday morning as it looks like the weather should be fine. MIght as well do an ILS if its all in the price!!

D
By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm in here either on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Am looking forward to the new 'GA experience' !!
By BlackheathBloke
Headed into Newquay on Friday evening, a very pleasant experience.

A few things to note. PPR is definitely required (a minimum of 4 hours notice if at all possible) The opening times on the airport are built around their scheduled traffic, so if you don't PPR they may well have already gone home if you pitch up late :oops:

Very easy taxi to the GA parking, and not bad value landing fee if you look at the facility you're using.

Thanks very much to Neil in the tower for showing me the ropes after landing.

One question for you Neil, I tried to get my hands on some of that nice cheap Avgas but was told if you take fuel then you'll need to pay the handling charge (about 25 quid from memory) Might be better for them to build the cost of bowser delivery into the price per litre rather than enforce handling which is always a big turn off for GA. :twisted:
By Evil Jethro
BB - I must confess to not being aware of that. I will look into it.
By dunny
I went in to Newquay on Sunday. A really pleasant set up with Joy from Weston Aviation collecting us in a mini bus and taking us to the GA portakabin, erm sorry......terminal. I was a bit disappointed by the bill though. £32 landing fee, £25 handling charge as I needed fuel, plus a parking fee (£4 I think) all plus VAT. By the time I got the bill it was in excess of £250!!

Never mind, lesson learned!!

One strange thing was that Newquay radar were unable to see my sqwauk either on the way there or on the way back. No-one else had a problem (Exeter for example). I ended up doing a visual approach in any case as the family didnt want to be in the cloud (again!!).

D
By BlackheathBloke
Evil Jethro wrote:BB - I must confess to not being aware of that. I will look into it.

Joy told me it's what the fuel guys charge them for firing up the bowser, so they're just passing on the cost?
By dunny
BlackheathBloke wrote:
Evil Jethro wrote:BB - I must confess to not being aware of that. I will look into it.

Joy told me it's what the fuel guys charge them for firing up the bowser, so they're just passing on the cost?

I am sure thats correct if thats what she said. The service itself was good, the van was waiting for me by the parking areas as was the bowser. Its a bit odd though to have to pay someone for you to have the privilege to then buy something from them!!

D
By Evil Jethro
A bit like paying to be a member of a flying school, so that you can pay to learn to fly!! I am looking into this issue.

dunny - what type of aircraft and transponder (ie mode S?) do you have?

I should point out that PPR is still required, ideally 4 hours, especially if you are arriving outside of 0900-1700.
By imperialsam
Any news on whether the handling charge still applies if fuel is required? I see the website is advertising 50% off the landing fee when uplifting 50 litres of fuel during the GA weekend. Wouldn't be such an attractive offer if the bowser call-out fee was then stuck on top of that!

Planning to come along on the bank holiday Monday - very much looking forward to it.
By JamesB
Anyone have an update on whether the 25+VAT charge for calling out the fuel bowser still applies?

Also, are you restricted to the GA portacabin or can one enter the terminal to use the cafe etc..?
By Evil Jethro
Yes it does I'm afraid - but it is not a "bowser call out" charge as stated.

And no once you are through the gate you are free to go where you please. Just return to the portacabin to be let back out to your aeroplane.
By Evil Jethro
I have had it confirmed that provided you arrange your own fuel (there is a phone for such use in the Weston Office), there is no additional charge for taking fuel. There will be a charge if Weston arrange it for you as that constitutes handling.