Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By vintage ATCO
Home of the Shuttleworth Collection of historic motor vehicles and aeroplanes. Visitors by air welcome on most days but PPR essential by telephone to the Visitor Centre 01767 627927.

See AIC Y 011/2010 and Notes for Visiting Pilots.

Display dates are in the AIC or available on the Shuttleworth Collection website. Advance booking recommended on the above number or by email shop at shuttleworth dot org.

Members of the Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society benefit from free landing fees and museum entry on non-display days (50% discount on display days) and a discount in the shop.
By dont overfill
Hi Steve,
We had a wonderful time as usual on Saturday but missed the last thirty minutes as they stop serving dinner at the Green Man at 21.00.
Weather was better than forecast on Sunday so we managed a visit to Breighton before returning to Scotlandshire.
We'll be back for a couple more shows this year yet.
Regards,
DO.
By 140kias
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Had a wonderful visit last year with Dont Overfill. Weather permitting I'll be backfor the Airshow this Sunday.
By Chipmunk Carol
FREE landings 24/7.
FREE entry to the restaurant, shop and paddocks by car or aeroplane on non event days.

PPR essential as show days and special events restrict landing times.
Family activities all year around, not just show days.
Space available for meetings, parties, special events, both small, club and corporate in size.
By Pete L
Popped in for fuel on the way back from Heveningham now UL91 available again. Website is updated frequently with airfield state. Strict PPR by 'phone. Shop keeps the booking in log and they shut at 1700L.

Very convenient otherwise - credit card pumps for AVGAS and UL91.
Landing fee applicable or not?

Old Warden website says
“There are currently no aircraft landing fees but visiting pilots must read and accept the airfield terms and conditions and PPR at all times” https://www.shuttleworth.org/plan-your-visit/

It also says
“ A site entrance fee of £10 per aircraft applies and an honesty box provided when signing in. Included in this fee is access to the Swiss Garden, Paddocks and North Park.”

So if you land but stay airside for a picnic and watch the world go by, nothing to pay, right?

Not according to the couple of emails I’ve just received from the airfield manager who has been checking the honesty box against the movements log. I accept that some places charge big landing fees, some charge little landing fees, and some don’t charge at all, but why confuse a simple thing!
By Rob P
@PortAndCheese

I agree it's not clear, but I'd bung a tenner in the honesty box even if I had just dropped in for fuel.

For crying out loud, it is a unique and priceless collection; just give them that 30% of the landing fee you'd pay at Le Touquet and be pleased to do so.

Rob P
I agree it’s good value, and that it’s a worthy cause. However, I’m not yet in the position to pay money to museums or exhibitions that I don’t go in to!

But it’s bizarre for their own website, and PPR phone call, and Pooleys to say “no landing fee”, then chase up and send emails to people who didn’t pay the self-described “site entrance fee”, after their own website says “no landing fee”.

I’d be far happier for them to say “£10 landing fee and aircraft have free entry to the collection.” No confusion, and still a good day out!
By Rob P
If you can't afford a tenner I fear you have chosen the wrong hobby?

That tenner doesn't give you admission to the aircraft collection. That is quite clear from the site.

Rob P
By cockney steve
@PortAndCheese said
I’d be far happier for them to say “£10 landing fee and aircraft have free entry to the collection.” No confusion, and still a good day out!

I really don't think that they would admit your steed to the collection :P

I agree that "landing-fee of £10 includes free admission of the occupants ,to the Swiss Garden, Paddocks and North Park.” would be clear and unambiguous ang eliminate any feeling of "bait and switch" con-tactics which the present detail might engender. :twisted:
By skydriller
PortAndCheese wrote:I’d be far happier for them to say “£10 landing fee and aircraft have free entry to the collection.” No confusion, and still a good day out!

Its been a very long time since I went there, but isnt that what they do? Or at least used to do before the whole lockdown thing happened? Or you paid entry to museum and gardens but didnt pay a landung fee? I forget which way around it is... Have to say that for such a lovely place to land and wander the gardens, a tenner seems great value... and complaining about it seems a bit off key... :|

I do know they have some VERY friendly chaps there at the collection which wandered over to help out when they saw I had difficulty starting the aeroplane to leave.

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
skydriller wrote:[a tenner seems great value... and complaining about it seems a bit off key... :|

It's not complaining about the tenner though, is it? It's complaining that after advertising that something is free, being asked for money for it, or shamed that they didn't pay anything.

If it's something that's likely to annoy people and drive them away it's being promised something which the company then goes back on.

It would be preferable to say, "Landing fee £10, waived if you're just calling in for fuel. Free entry to the Swiss Garden, paddocks and north park, and a discount of £10 for entry to the collection will be given on presentation of a landing fee receipt." or such like.
mick w liked this