Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Windjammer
What a gem :D
Alderney is a superb destination with a well operated and professional airport. We were handled by the fire department in the check in building where we filled in our Gendec and filed the onward flight plan. There is a fax machine for sending plans direct to the tower.
Can`t comment on the landing fee as we were diverted from Jersey so recieved a free one.
The island is small enough to walk around in half a day, with a small number of shops and plenty of bars and restaurants. The scenery is stunning both from the air and at ground level
By steviem
Seafood Rating. - Quality 9.5/10 - Price 8/10 if you go informal at the Bistro in the Harbour. 6/10 if you go to the posh hotel a bit further up the street.
By Windjammer
AndyR wrote:Whatever you do though, do remember your hi-viz !!

Why, is it really dark in the seafood restaurant?
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Try getting back to your aircraft if you have managed to slip in without one on!

Lovely island and other than the verbal dressing down experienced by myself and one or two others, well worth the trip.
By Windjammer
Would that be from the over zealous Group4 security man by any chance? He gave me the third degree because I`d left the passports and Gendec in the plane...
By johnm
Depends who is on security and who is in the tower whether you get the officious response or the sensible delightful little Island response.

9/11 really was the greatest opportunity ever granted to jobsworths.
By Halcyon
I was inspired to try Alderney following windjammer's report and can also report how enjoyable my visit was.

I flew in last Saturday lunchtime and after filling in the GenDec walked into St Anne to my B&B.

On the Sunday I needed to go to Guernsey for fuel and so filed a "mini" flight plan for inter island flight and also my onward plan from Guernsey back to the UK. On arrival in Guernsey the fuel truck was waiting for me to shut down and promptly filled my tanks. Great service. And the flight planning office is excellent on Guernsey too.

On departure cleared not above FL45 on track Skery. No drama.

Oh, one other thing. The fireman at Alderney had our point of departure recorded as "Up North". Having come in from Blackpool I suppose he was right!

We had a good laugh at that.
By JonathanB
I went in from Cherbourg and got a reduced landing fee as I was a "short-haul" arrival as opposed to long-haul had I come from mainland UK! Made me chuckle!

Delightful place! :)
By Timothy
The twerp who shouts at me about Hi-Viz does so from the tower. Gives great confidence in the ATC staff :roll:
By johnm
The twerp who shouts at me about Hi-Viz does so from the tower. Gives great confidence in the ATC staff

Us regulars know to carry the Hi viz when a male voice on RT and don't bother when female voice on RT :wink: . If carrying Hi Viz just wave it like a flag it winds him up a treat :twisted:
By derekf
johnm wrote:
The twerp who shouts at me about Hi-Viz does so from the tower. Gives great confidence in the ATC staff

Us regulars know to carry the Hi viz when a male voice on RT and don't bother when female voice on RT :wink: . If carrying Hi Viz just wave it like a flag it winds him up a treat :twisted:

I wonder if the male voice and the female voice are 'an item' :wink:
By WLB
Despite only living 30 odd miles away in Guernsey, I visited Alderney for the first time during a lesson last weekend.

Not a hi-viz in sight and no complaints.

Only complaint I have is that a Cup of tea set me back £1.50 and at best it was hot water briefly introduced to a tea bag!
By derekf
Will,
That's amazing - every time I've been there from Jersey they are really hot on Hi-Viz - especially when you want to get back out onto the apron from the 'terminal'
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Alderney is just like Heathrow, at least that's what I was told while I was getting told off and threatened with an MOR.

Ian