Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I will probably need to replace my C182's alternator (again) in the near future - does anyone have any experience of the available brands?

Thanks

Ian
By Colin G
Why replace when it can be overhauled?
If you are wanting to replace it, then Plane Power Alternators appear to be an improvement over the stock alternator.
Adams Aviation are the UK suppliers of Plane Power.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man

This is my second alternator in less than three years, last time the casing came apart! I am trying to discuss the fault with the US manufacturer, but so far it is a one way conversation.

Ian
PS I should add that Adams supplied the alternator (it isn't a Plane Power model), sorted it out the problem last time without delay, and have offered to get it sorted this time. I may still take them up on their offer, but would like to discuss the issue with the manufacturer first.
By Aerotech Flyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's all the arrays of new equipment that you keep testing for the magazine. The alternator can cope with having 4 handheld GPS boxes all running off a 4 way adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter, but it's the cappuccino maker that's drawing the excess load that's finally dragging it down! :wink:
AF
By SteveC
What make of alternator? I had exactly the same problem in IMC climbing out of Guernsey . Low voltage light came on and I returned. The alternator had literally come apart and fallen off the back of the engine and it was a new one to replace one that failed a couple of months earlier when climbing out of Dinard.

G-BLEW wrote:

This is my second alternator in less than three years, last time the casing came apart! I am trying to discuss the fault with the US manufacturer, but so far it is a one way conversation.

Ian
PS I should add that Adams supplied the alternator (it isn't a Plane Power model), sorted it out the problem last time without delay, and have offered to get it sorted this time. I may still take them up on their offer, but would like to discuss the issue with the manufacturer first.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
What make of alternator?

Kelly

Ian
By SteveC
G-BLEW wrote:
What make of alternator?

Kelly

Ian

Yep, same one. I thought it was one of those million to one events. Apparently not.
By letsgo
Similar experience to me, 2nd Kelly Aerospace Alternator failed at 18 months and around 60 hours. Just to make it worse the 2nd voltage regulator also failed at a similar number of hours.
By mlawton
Put a new Kelly Voltage Reg on my 172 two weeks ago, It lasted just 6hrs!! Then died!
By Leighton CZ
Seems to me there is problem with the design of the replacement OR you have a serious balance /mis-alignment / mounting problem causing excess vibration.
Having had a lot of experience with auto-alternators. GA alternators a little different. The main problems used to be Brushes wearing out- occasionally the odd diode would go open circuit which lowers the voltage output, regulators going duff - no output at all. Very rarely, a bearing would be noisy - but still running ok.

The alternator on my Pup is a Delco Remy (General Motors) with a remote mounted regulator, I have only had the brushes replaced once in 14 years and had to have a mounting hole rebushed. I bought a new regulator (£230.00) for it a year ago as I had problems with the Low Voltage light coming on very intermittantly - Turned out to be a momentary overload causing the Field Breaker to trip when flaps were being lowered with everything else on.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Leighton CZ wrote:Turned out to be a momentary overload causing the Field Breaker to trip when flaps were being lowered with everything else on.

Probably a problem with the earthing/ground connection.
By Cub
This is what I thought I had posted?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Yes everything to do with that - here's part of an email that I received today from Tim Gauntt, Kelly's Director of Warranty and Tech Support

The looseness of the case is a mechanical issue on all the Ford style alternators. The way the housings are fitted to the stator allows for movement after the alternator is heated up and run with a load, something which we cannot duplicate in production testing. This is why you found the housing bolts loose but still safety wired. We currently affix a decal to the housing and recommend the through bolts be re-torqued after the 1st 10 hours of operation and then each 100 hours thereafter. It’s been my experience the 1st 10 hour re-torque and the 1st 100 hour inspection will be all that’s needed.

Here's a picture, sent to me by John Miller, a South African editor. It shows what happens if the bolts aren't torqued.

So if you have a Ford style alternator, make sure that you get the torque of the bolts checked as per Kelly's suggestions