Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Following the theft of three Rotax 912s engines from Otherton, the Staffordshire police are considering a coordinated nationwide investigation. Many of you know this is not the first theft of engines in recent months. Up to now each force has dealt with each incident locally. DNA evidence has now been obtained. If the police can collate all the evidence from all the crimes through out the country the chances of catching and prosecuting the perpetrators is increased. It’s up to us in the flying community to do what we can to help. Can anyone who knows of similar engine thefts occurring in the last 12 months please let me know when, where and any other details. I will collate this information and pass it on to the police.

Thanks
Graham
By Mike Cross
We had one nicked from Popham some time ago but it would not have been a 912 as it was taken of the front of a microlight, Thruster or similar I think.

Dick Richardson, airfield manager at Popham will porobably be able to provide more info 01256 397733
By matspart3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A 912 was stolen from a Katana at Croft Farm in late June.
By fatman
[quote="Mike Cross"]We had one nicked from Popham some time ago but it would not have been a 912 as it was taken of the front of a microlight, Thruster or similar I think.

So when have the Ikarus C42s that fly from Popham with Rotax engines stopped being microlights?
Ron
By Mike Cross
Having seen what happened when one of the Ikari unwisely taxied behind the AN2 I can assure you that I can recognise it as a microlight.

Mono is quite correct it was nicked off a Thruster style machine and I don't think I've seen a 912 on one of those.
By peterh337
Seriously - where can these engines be used?

Presumably on aircraft, which would suggest some very curious practices in some departments of the lighter GA scene. I mean, an engine is not exactly inconspicuous.
By SteveN
One has to ask why the Police need us to tell them about the thefts when they will already have been registered with them when they occured. I thought that was what the Police National Computer was for :?

Also I think if Mr Plod realised the sort of things the military use Rotax engines for there would get a lot more resource to tackle these thefts.

Steve