Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Halcyon
Flew into Coventry on Sunday March 29th and had a friendly welcome.

ATC were helpful and readily obliged a request for vectoring to the ILS on runway 23. After landing we parked up outside Coventry Aero Club and had some lunch in the bar. There was a nice first floor outside area where you could sit and watch the arrivals onto runway 23 and the locals were friendly too.

Landing fees were paid to the young lady on reception and came to £27.60 for the DA42 we arrived in. Handling is not required for aircraft under 3000kgs and PPR on the phone was not needed either although I did ring the aero club to ask if we could use their facilities. The guy I spoke to, and later met, said that would be OK. And it was!

Departing later and ATC asked where we wanted to route, which was straight ahead to clear controlled airspace, and gave us the clearance.

I would certainly return. Overall a very good experience.
By PaulB
Halcyon wrote:After landing we parked up outside Coventry Aero Club and had some lunch in the bar. There was a nice first floor outside area where you could sit and watch the arrivals onto runway 23 and the locals were friendly too.

The upstairs bar has been taken over by Skypartners and recently refurbished.

http://www.horizonscafe.co.uk/Horizons_ ... index.html

The hours have changed a bit.... it's now open from 10:00 am every day but Monday.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulB wrote:
Halcyon wrote:After landing we parked up outside Coventry Aero Club and had some lunch in the bar. There was a nice first floor outside area where you could sit and watch the arrivals onto runway 23 and the locals were friendly too.

The upstairs bar has been taken over by Skypartners and recently refurbished.

http://www.horizonscafe.co.uk/Horizons_ ... index.html

The hours have changed a bit.... it's now open from 10:00 am every day but Monday.

Worth a visit?
By PaulB
I haven't sampled the food since it changed (may do tomorrow). The room is nice and I think the 1st floor verandah affords a view of the airfield second only to the tower. All landings on 23 can be assessed and commented on! :shock:

The main reason that I posted was that in some places it can be difficult to get even a drink especially during the week and Horizons is now open from 10 everyday but Monday.

While we're talking about Cov, I guess it needs to be said that the lack of commercial passenger traffic (there is still freight & IR training) means that the dreaded orbits are much less frequent. Unfortunately this has had an effect on the airport's opening hours. It is no longer H24. It's open late during the week (opening at 8:00 (local, I think.... I don't get up that early!)) but at the weekend, it closes at 18:00 local which is rather annoying if you fancied an evening bimble.

P.
By PaulB
Rob L wrote:Landings are also free at Coventry for pre-1960 aeroplanes.

I've seen that written a number of times, but it doesn't seem to be specifically mentioned in their scale of charges

http://www.coventryairport.co.uk/fees_and_charges.php

Have you been a beneficiary of their free landings?

P.
By Aerotech Flyer
Rob flew into Aerotech today with EY and discovered that the small print says that only visits to "Air Atlantique" with pre-60s are free. However, he still gets a very good deal, which I'll let him reveal if he wants to after reading this.
Anyway, I was going to add that Horizons is a very welcome addition to the airport to give it some atmosphere. Had lunch up there with forumite Adrian the other week and saw the DC3 bouncing along on some circuit training, the balcony was a great vantage point to watch. We have also started nipping in there for a Warsteiner (Wobbly) after work at Aerotech, providing the locals don't collar us too much considering we service nearly all the aircraft there.
So really Cov is quite a good venue now if you want to combine all this with a visit to the Air Museum too. If you're a forumite, send us a PM and you'll get a tour around Aerotech as well if I'm around.
Cheers
AF :salut:
By PaulB
Aerotech Flyer wrote:Anyway, I was going to add that Horizons is a very welcome addition to the airport to give it some atmosphere.

I have mentioned Horizons before.... It's OK isn't it?

...the balcony was a great vantage point to watch.

Indeed.... I guess that the view from there is as good as anywhere on the airport with the exception of the tower. You get a great view of all 23 landings.

So really Cov is quite a good venue now

It is..... and there are no commercials (well, no passenger ones) so the "orbit" issues of the past are largely gone.

P.
By Rob L
Rob L wrote:Landings are also free at Coventry for pre-1960 aeroplanes.

My mistake for posting too soon. I now understand the free landing fees apply to pre-1960s aircraft that are "only for aircraft visiting Classic Flight ".

Sorry if I misrepresented anything.

Rob
By helicopterdcr
I flew into Coventry on 23rd September to visit the Transair shop. This is run by Almat (flying club). They were very helpful. I requested the West apron (to save me a long walk) when I PPR'd, and was directed there no problem - I was even offered a Fire Service marshaller, which I accepted as I was unfamiliar . My pre 1960 aeroplane attracted zero landing fee, with no mention of Classic Flight. The only snag with the West apron is that food is a long way East, but there is a pub right outside the Almat gate (which I didn't try).
By PaulB
helicopterdcr wrote:but there is a pub right outside the Almat gate (which I didn't try).

I wouldn't say that the pub is the better of the two in the village (well, the 2 that I know) but the other is a fair walk.
By Dusty_B
The Oak (nearest the West entrance) has a great '2 for £10' menu which is now available all week. It's pub bar food, but portions are good and quality fair (and a great improvement over the last year or so). A 10 minute walk down the hill into the village, and you get The Mill. This is a pub restaurant/hotel menu, with mains starting at around £10 and shooting upwards!
At the other end of the runway is Horizons - as already covered. Food is cafe style, comparable to The Oak, but with a view! Discount is given for airport staff (CVT ID card holders) too.
By PaulB
Dusty_B wrote:The Oak (nearest the West entrance) has a great '2 for £10' menu which is now available all week. It's pub bar food, but portions are good and quality fair (and a great improvement over the last year or so). A 10 minute walk down the hill into the village, and you get The Mill. This is a pub restaurant/hotel menu, with mains starting at around £10 and shooting upwards!

It (The Old Mill) is a bog standard Chef & Brewer. It's website currently claims it has 2 courses for £10 or 3 for £12 (Mon-Fri). Does have a nice seating area overlooking the river and what is left of the old mill race. There's even a no smoking outside bit too (or there was when I was last there) I've only been to the Oak once and that was about 2 years ago so it may have changed.
By Dusty_B
Fair do's. 'Shooting' upwards is perhaps a little strong. But the 2 (courses) for £10 is a new one on me; and The Oak does the 2 (meals) for £10 7 days a week.
By PaulB
Landing fees at Cov seem to have been sorted now. For less than 3T they are £0.012 + VAT per Kg.

I believe that T&Gs and instrument approaches are 50% the above. There is also a landing fee reduction of 50% if you are visiting just to pick up fuel. See http://www.coventryairport.co.uk

It's currently open till 8pm local during the week and 7pm local at the weekend although radar isn't available at the end of the day. (Specific times notam'd)