Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Steve H
AKA Staverton (used to be called this based on the nearby village). Pretty much equidistant between Cheltenham and Gloucester and very near the M5.

EGBJ and environs

EGBJ from the overhead

Three runways, all plenty long enough for typical light aircraft. NDB / DME instrument approaches for the main runway 27 / 09 (they will be adding a GPS approach shortly and hoping to add and ILS once planning goes through). Weekly commercial flights to Jersey and Isle of Man. Quite keen on hi-vis vests unfortunately.

Easy to find and spot, but you can come up on it fairly fast if coming 'over the ridge' from the east. Local landmark is a very unusual doughnut shaped building which acts as an ideal turning point from base to final for 27.

Building most of us use as a turning point onto final for 27

Complex scale of charges, but note significant discounted landing fees for amongst other things:
- Historic aircraft built before 1950
- Ultralights
- Permit aircraft
- If uplifting 50 litres of fuel
First four hours of parking free.

Free WiFi in both the Aviator cafe and in the main terminal building. Also free internet connected PC in the main terminal building for flight planning, weather etc.

Report through arrivals in the terminal building clearly marked with a big yellow and black 'C'. Car parking is plentiful and free.

Aviator pub / cafe now much improved with all the usual fayre, plus some more 'upmarket' panini's and lattes etc. A fair few locals on Sundays and in evenings when doubles as a local pub.

Both Cheltenham and Gloucester are a nearby bus ride or a cab ride away.

Many fixed wing and helicopter flying schools and clubs, as well as a Transair shop outside the terminal on the right and on the first floor.

Note noise abatement procedures on take-off and do NOT make the noise abatement turn on 27 until you have reached the end of the runway or you may infringe the helicopter circuit.

Great and very busy airfield with a lot of Flyer Forumites based there. Ideal for Cheltenham, the racecourse (during Gold Cup week, it is mad with flights and helicopters) and possibly even for RIAT as a base.

Official website http://www.gloucestershireairport.co.uk/
Last edited by Steve H on Mon May 10, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Steve H
5 minute walk to the bus stop from Gloucestershire Airport, where the No:94 will take you to either Cheltenham or Gloucester every 10 mins.

From Matspart3
By Rotorboater
Good to see there are so many people at work at GCHQ, good job the Ruskies didn't invade that day!
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rotorboater wrote:Good to see there are so many people at work at GCHQ, good job the Ruskies didn't invade that day!

The car park gets a lot fuller at times :lol:
By tonyuk
Love the place but 22 quid to land is far to expensive
By dena1
I concur with Tonyuk that landing fees are an issue. Paid £20 for an SR20 on 21.2.09

My first visit but enjoyed it very much. Good facilities and excellent ATC
By JonathanB
[quote='dena1']I concur with Tonyuk that landing fees are an issue. Paid £20 for an SR20 on 21.2.09

My first visit but enjoyed it very much. Good facilities and excellent ATC[/quote]

So £20 is expensive for good facilities and ATC?

Contrast with another excellent airfield that I've been to lately that just has A/G, a shorter single runway and charges £10 (and is still excellent value!)

Not too bad perhaps after all!?
By dena1
I think you misunderstood me.
Yes it has excellent facilities but so does numerous other airfields that do not charge as much. I am aware that airfields have to make a profit and that they are business' but I cant get away from the fact that a lot of other countries subsidies these facilities and see them as assets rather than liabilities and consequently charge reduced or no landing fees
By SteveN
For future reference the landing fee for your aircraft would be £13.69
if you get some fuel (50ltr+).

http://www.gloucestershireairport.co.uk/ScaleOfCharges.pdf

Steve
By matspart3
...and Gloucester is fairly near the bottom of the fuel price list too.

The average single engined spam can, not buying fuel, between 751-1750Kg pays £20.15 inc VAT, which includes 4 hours' free parking.
By Rob L
The Gloucs marketing dept could do worst than just charge for overnight. 4 hours free sounds like they are counting.
By SteveN
Glos are some of the good guys. We moved back for the facilities, we stay because of their attitude :)

Steve
By Lindsayp
What do they charge for longer parking then? I was planning to fly rather than drive to see my family this summer (in Cheltenham), but 4 hours wouldn't make it worthwhile. Hopefully extra hours are only a little extra? Haven't got a Pooleys/AFE etc to hand to follow this up right now.
By JamesB
Charges are here [url]http://www.gloucestershireairport.co.uk/ScaleOfCharges.pdf[/url]

[q[quoteisiting Aircraft Parking: Free for the first four hours. Thereafter, per 24 hour period or part thereof:

[b]Day rate:[/b]
Aircraft under 3mt departing on the day of arrival: £6.13 + VAT = £7.04

[b]Per 24 hours or part thereof:[/b]
Aircraft less than 3mt: £13.19 + VAT = £15.16
3mt to 5mt: £21.92 + VAT = £25.20
>5mt: £5.70 per mt + VAT = £6.55 per mt
[/quote]
By Lindsayp
Thanks James; I guess then a day in Cheltenham will cost me £27.19 in landing/parking. Rather expensive, but on the other hand it'll cost me about £100 in the shareoplane round-trip anyway, and it is a lot more fun than driving which would take three times as long even if costing about a third as much.

I wonder if I can pull some strings since my mum and late dad were both mayors of Cheltenham and the airport is municipal-owned? A cheap landing card maybe....