Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Robert
During the late sixties/very early seventies G-ADDI, DH84 Dragon, used to position daily to the beach at Southport from what we might easily term an early example of a farm-strip located at Criccieth. Each day Captain ‘Chris (female), something or other’, in full airline uniform, would scare the proverbial sh*t out of the donkey population while sealing something up in the heart of her willing and knowledgeable passengers. Refuelling was always at Squires Gate and transit always by way of Llanbedr ATC - then extremely active with the antipodean drone - a Jet Provost with stub wings? Oh happy days.

Robert
By vintage ATCO
It was Mrs Claire Roberts who flew G-ADDI. I think Chris was her husband who formed Chrisair. Did it operate off the beach at Southport? I never saw it there and was there often visiting a favourite uncle. I flew in Fox Moth G-ACEJ from there but in G-ADDI from Squires Gate. Sadly it went to the US in 1971.

Back on topic, there may be a UAV at RIAT. :wink:
By alanevans
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My first flight was off the beach at Southport in 1952 or 53, when I was about 7 years old.

The aircraft was a biplane with an open cockpit forward and an aft cabin with seats for four passengers. As I remember it, the seats were of a deep bucket-type design. The flight cost five shillings for adults and half-a-crown for children. (This is a cue for a thread-diversion, or even a hijack).

My memory could well be playing tricks, but I would be interested to know if that aircraft might have been G-ADDI. Anybody got a photo?

Alan.
David Bland liked this
By Rob P
alanevans wrote:The aircraft was a biplane with an open cockpit forward and an aft cabin with seats for four passengers. As I remember it, the seats were of a deep bucket-type design. The flight cost five shillings for adults and half-a-crown for children. (This is a cue for a thread-diversion, or even a hijack).

Alan.

I'd guess that was G-ACEJ as detailed above.

My first flight was in the alternative Fox Moth for Northerners G-AOJH off Liverpool Speke. 2/6d each for frank Cross and myself.

Rob P

By vintage ATCO
Alan

What you describe is a DH83 Fox Moth although the cabin was in front of the open cockpit. Two were operated from Southport beach, G-ACCB and G-ACEJ by Giro Aviation. I flew in 'CEJ in around 1960.

G-ACCB ditched in the sea off Southport 25 June 1956 but was salvaged and is currently on rebuild.

G-ACEJ was sold to the Tiger Club in 1966 but was extensively damaged and burnt out when a C172 crashed on top of it at Old Warden. It was rebuilt and flies again and can be seen at most Moth Club events.

I don't ever recollect seeing Dragon 'DDI at Southport but the beach was certainly big enough!

By kms
My first ever flight was in G-ADDI, from Fairoaks during a Tiger Club meeting, I think in 1960. I saw her again in Washington a few years ago.
By alanevans
Thank you, guys, for those photographs. The memories have come flooding back.

Strange how I had the rear cockpit and front cabin transposed though.

Alan.
By Talkdownman
Mods:

How about we have our own Flyer - 'Aviation History and Nostalgia' forum for this sort of stuff? There seem to be several geriatrics without altzheimers on board who can tell a yarn or two. The pictures are most evocative.

Nurse, nurse, it's time for my medicine..............
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Robert
VA,
G-ADDI certainly flew from Southport beach during the early sixties… I was lucky enough have the pleasure of a flight in her.

Robert
By Neil Bordessa
Flew a C172 onto the strip at Southport beach a few years back on a bank holiday, scarey stuff :shock: people wondering all over the show as I waited to depart.
They packed in doing pleasure flights not long after.
By gaxor
My first ever flight in a light aircraft was also off Southport beach whilst visiting a customer in Liverpool. It took me a further 10 years to be able to afford to get my PPL
By vintage ATCO
It is amazing just how many people first flew from Southport beach. One of the Directors in NATS retired last year and went round all the airports to say goodbye. We were idly chatting and discovered we both 'first flew' in G-ACEJ from Southport about eight years apart!

The 'five-bob joy ride' must have started a lot of people in aviation.
By foxmoth
I think G-AOJH also flew of Southport beach as well at times flown by "Captain Jonny", I never flew in her then but have many in her hours as pilot in later days. The Fox is a great aircraft, same wings and engine as the Tiger but carried 5 including the pilot and was 10kts faster, handles better as well!