Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@VRB_20kt that’s what I hope. I was getting better at it in the circuit but now out on nav, it seems to have slipped again. It will improve with time and practice I’m sure.

@FlyingBoot yes, it will be weather dependent. The wind was fine but the concern was the impending fog bank. I understand it’s quite a common thing at Glos as the fog forms over the Severn river and blows across the airport. When we left, the wind was relatively light but had picked up when we got back. You could see the fog front rolling closer as we approached. I’m keen to do the solo nav but actually in no major rush - it’s all flying and learning.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Iceman wrote:For the first 25 hours of my PPL in 1995, I was far too busy looking out of the window, enjoying the views, to take in what the instructor was saying :lol: !

Iceman 8)

I like that @Iceman -
"It's not that I didn't understand, it's just that I wasn't listening."

Yep, I'm adding that to my list of explanations :lol: :lol:
Milty, Iceman liked this
By Iceman
:lol:

I actually ended up feeling sorry for my Kiwi instructor who was extremely good. He would sit there in exasperation sometimes, particularly when it came to Nav. Coincidentally, as he moved on to the airlines, I started reading the books and there was light. My second instructor had an unexpectedly easy time of it, finishing off my PPL.

Iceman 8)
Milty liked this
By dalepearson
Iceman wrote:For the first 25 hours of my PPL in 1995, I was far too busy looking out of the window, enjoying the views, to take in what the instructor was saying :lol: !

Iceman 8)

I find I am somewhat the opposite.
Obviously I am looking outside, but concentrating on the flying and learning and not always taking in the views.
Sometimes I have to remind myself to enjoy the view.
Iceman, Milty liked this
By Iceman
@dalepearson, I think that you’re doing it the right way; there’ll be plenty of time for catching up on the views later, although it’s interesting as a pilot how much detail you miss. It’s often not until I’m a passenger on a flight that I notice things, even local to my home field, that I’ve never consciously noticed before. I was flying at Redhill for 8 years before I noticed that there’s a windmill on the downwind for 36; too busy concentrating on the tight circuit and missing Gatwick to notice as a pilot :D.

Iceman 8)
dalepearson, T6Harvard, Milty and 1 others liked this
By Milty
Well, that was an interesting morning...

Rain and cloud was clearing when I got to the airfield so had bit of time to spare before we decided it was OK to do the solo nav. While waiting, I took the comms exam which I'm pleased to say I passed with 2 questions wrong. According to the feedback, one was to do with radio check and I don't recall a question on radio check. The other was about a read-back on entering a MATZ - it asked for the minimum readback required and gave one option as a full readback and 3 others as abbreviated parts. The fact that it asked for the minimum fooled me into choosing one fo the abbreviated ones. Anyway, it's passed and learning taken from it.

So, the weather was now good enough for the solo nav. I'm not going to lie, I was nervous. Instructor did not push me to go, it was my decision and I enjoyed it all, apart from the end bit...

First leg to Hereford was pretty good. Got height nailed and stable after the climb but track was a bit off to start with. Got that sorted though and all good. Pootle out to Hereford seemed to take an age with the headwind. I realised that you actually have a reasonable amount of time and rather than expecting to look at the map/ground references and instantly know where I am, it takes a bit of checking but there's no rush. Better to get it right than assume you are where you aren't. Turned towards Worcester and that track was better. Overflew my house. Turned towards Gloucester and was hearing that it was fairly busy back home at the airfield.

Got my 10m call in OK, then 3m. then the fun started.

At the overhead, I was asked to descend deadside but stay deadside and he'd get back to me. I was also aware of another Robin behind me who was instructed the same. We were eventually told to both do a LH orbit dead side. I wasn't massively comfortable with that as I wasn't visual with it, but they said they could see me so round I went.

Coming out of the orbit, I was advised to join crosswind behind a Robin and a departing heli. I could see both but was a bit confused where this Robin had come from as it was behind before (so I thought) and had been told to do a wide crosswind and join behind me. I thought that I was being brought in first and the Robin had gone in front and was doing a wide circuit. My confusion was that there were 2 Robins and in my naivety, I ended up a bit too close on final as the Robin in front came across and in front of me.

I'm annoyed at myself because I knew the picture didn't look right but I was so convinced in my head that the Robin in front was going to be sent around that I called final but was given an immediate go-around. With hindsight, I saw what was happening and knew the the aircraft in front and below had priority and I should have gone around rather than calling final. I went around without issue and I'm pleased that I actually felt pretty calm and just got on with what was needed (scrabbling for a positive).

Second time around was less eventful in the circuit until the landing. On 27 with wind at 300/10. I'm not making excuses but a gust moved me off-centre a bit and I think I just wanted to get down so I flared too high and dropped with a good bounce from about 5-6' according to my watching instructor. No damage as far as we could tell apart from to my confidence and pride.

Back in the briefing room and the errors were reviewed. Instructor was surprised I'd been left dead side as long as I was and asked to do an orbit dead side with another aircraft. We unraveled what had happened with the two Robins. I'm sure it will come with time but in the air, I just didn't get the picture of one in front and one behind. I didn't question it with ATC as I'd convinced myself that the picture in my head was correct. Another lesson learned (human performance) to react to the facts in front and not what you are telling yourself. Landing wise, should have dribbled some more power in and floated longer (as we have that luxury at Gloucester) or gone around again, but that's easy to say with hindsight. I knew what I'd done was not going to end with a nice landing but didn't know what to do about it.

The circuit drama I'm not proud of, but comfortable that I didn't panic, reacted well to ATC corrections and wasn't actually that close to anyone to be an issue. I can take some good learnings from that experience.

The bumpy landing has shaken me up a bit. I have no reference of how close to being really bad it was. No bits broken, teeth all in the right place but safe to say, I don't want to do one like that again. I've asked for a circuit session next time if we can but with Glos runways being surfaced, I might have to wait or go to another airfield. I'm honestly unsure if it's the right thing to do. Part of me wants to get back up and correct it myself without the comfort blanket of my instructor next to me. Another part of me says get up with the instructor but my fear is will I ever feel confident to go alone again. I probably will, but right now, I'm nervous.

Sorry again for the long write-up. I'm a 'wear my heart on my sleeve' person. Be as brutal but helpful as you need to be with any feedback.

I'm taking the morning as a win overall - another exam passed, solo XC done without getting lost and plenty of learning points.

Lesson 21, 23h55m total, 20h45 dual, 3h10 solo
By Paul_Sengupta
Milty wrote:Lesson 21, 23h55m total, 20h45 dual, 3h10 solo

That's interesting. You seem to be doing a solo cross country before doing your (5 hours?) solo circuit consolidation. Is that right? And should some or all of the solo circuit consolidation be done before solo XC?
By Milty
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Milty wrote:Lesson 21, 23h55m total, 20h45 dual, 3h10 solo

That's interesting. You seem to be doing a solo cross country before doing your (5 hours?) solo circuit consolidation. Is that right? And should some or all of the solo circuit consolidation be done before solo XC?

I'm led to believe it is 2 hours solo circuit consolidation. That's what I've been told by my instructor which I've done (albeit last solo landing was 22/12).

From the CAA site, 10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM) that includes full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the departure aerodrome. Is it the 5 hours of solo XC time that you are thinking of?
By Paul_Sengupta
Milty wrote:From the CAA site, 10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM) that includes full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the departure aerodrome. Is it the 5 hours of solo XC time that you are thinking of?

No, the other 5 hours! :D

I was just thinking back to my day, which was pre-JAA so don't mind me...
Milty liked this