For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Loco parentis
Slightly surprised that no one has mentioned the passing of that wonderful comedian and raconteur, the inimitable Barry Cryer.

I understand that many of the younger contributors might not be so familiar with Mr. Cryer's comic persona but the older, of whom I'm one, will surely comment on his passing ?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
He didn't 'pass', FFS;......... he died:

Why are we so mealy-mouthed about the subject of death: It happens to us all.

Is it a name , like Voldemort , that must not be mentioned lest it creep up in the dark hours and spirit us away?

Either way his death (or should that be his passing) was very sad: He was a great contributor to the British sense of humour with a catalogue of script writings for almost every British (and many non-British) comedian you could think of over the last 60 years.

I have read his writings in the Oldie avidly for the last 10 years or more.
Looking forward to the many tribute programmes that will surely follow.
lobstaboy, Trent772, Rob L and 5 others liked this
By Rob L
As others, I disagree with the use of the word "passing" (such an Americanism..passing from where to where..here to there? Passing on the street?)
People are either alive or dead.

Anyway; I couldn't stand Barry Cryer; I didn't understand his humour.
Nick liked this
By lobstaboy
Rob L wrote:Anyway; I couldn't stand Barry Cryer; I didn't understand his humour.

You poor soul!
Anyway, given that he wrote stuff with and for pretty much everybody on UK TV since the mid 60s, what humour do you understand?
PeteSpencer, GrahamB liked this
By PeteSpencer
I guess @Loco parentis and @Rob L have been living in a parallel universe for the last half century at least................

One with no ISIHAC;

I can't imagine it. :shock:
kanga, rusty eagle liked this
By Rob L
lobstaboy wrote:
Rob L wrote:Anyway; I couldn't stand Barry Cryer; I didn't understand his humour.

You poor soul!
Anyway, given that he wrote stuff with and for pretty much everybody on UK TV since the mid 60s, what humour do you understand?

My own
Nick liked this
By Loco parentis
PeteSpencer wrote:I guess @Loco parentis and @Rob L have been living in a parallel universe for the last half century at least................

One with no ISIHAC;

You can't imagine it - poor soul ! Don't hold me to account for your limitations of imagination and language.
By PeteSpencer
Rob L wrote:I had to search for "ISIHAC" because I confess that I didn't know what it meant.
I've now found out that it means "I Seriously Couldn't Give A Sh@t" :|

Like I said: 'A parallel universe' :lol: :lol:

When you next on at Leicester, Rob? We're long overdue for a chin wag and a bacon butty ............... :wink:

Peter
By PeteSpencer
Loco parentis wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:I guess @Loco parentis and @Rob L have been living in a parallel universe for the last half century at least................

One with no ISIHAC;

You can't imagine it - poor soul ! Don't hold me to account for your limitations of imagination and language.

@Loco parentis

ISTR you as OP ( and self-confessed 'older contributor') bemoaned the fact that no-one(particularly youngsters) had mentioned Barry Cryer's death, so it came as a bit of a surprise to me that you weren't aware of his participation in ISIHAC for half a century.

Peter (extremely old contributor) :thumleft:
By avtur3
What a sad loss, so much of classic british comedy can be traced back to him.

About tens years ago, during an interview with Paddy O'Connell for the BBC radio program "Broadcasting House" Paddy got Barry to deliver an obituary on himself. The clip was played out a couple of times yesterday and is one countless examples of his comic genius.

https://soundcloud.com/tallslim/barry-c ... rld-at-one