Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By IWF
Hi all,

I’ve been a lurker on the forum since starting my PPL is April but given my progress to solo seems to have taken forever ( 28hours) I didn’t feel like contributing.

But having soloed just before Christmas, I was let loose for my first circuit solo yesterday and what a blast it was. I train out of Elstree , which is an interesting adventure every time.

Yesterday I was told to line up on 26, but hold while two walkers and their dog crossed the end of the runway. I loved being to report I had visual on the dog. Moments later I was up in the air , right hand circuit, climbing out over the motorway , turning at the cemetery avoiding the church spire in one of the villages. All too soon I was diving down onto 26 just over the school ,crossing the numbers, just about on the centreline before faffing about with flaps, carb heat, keeping things straight before taking off. I managed 4 circuits before tower came on to advise my circuit time was up. A modern version of “come in No 6, your time is up”

As others have expressed it’s a wonderful feeling flying a small aircraft, with the confidence you know what you’re doing, it’ll be safe. I didn’t feel stressed at all, which is the way it should be, as my FI and CFI have said. Perfect weather yesterday though. Light winds straight down the runway, and non of the turbulence of the summer.

Shame it can’t be always like that, but I can’t wait to be airborne again.

Cheers
Miscellaneous, Rob P, Milty and 12 others liked this
By JAFO
IWF wrote:...the confidence you know what you’re doing, it’ll be safe...

My first solo was in 1986 and I'm still waiting for that feeling. :D

Well done.

My favourite was a friend who was warned of a rabbit on the runway and answered: "Roger the rabbit".
By Rob P
I was once able to respond to an ATSU with
"Visual with the Zeppelin"

Welcome @IWF

Rob P

OK it was actually the Goodyear airship, but we all are allowed our fantasies.
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome @IWF

It is a great feeling. Don’t be concerned about how long it’s taken. It’s your journey and if you’ve got the money, what does it matter (just remember there is a time limit from passing exams to passing skills test (2 years from date of first exam I think) but if it takes longer, you just have to retake the exams. Just enjoy it.

Dog walkers on the runway - brilliant.
By IWF
Thanks all,

I’ll start contributing again, now I’m over the solo, and good advice about the exams. I’ve got probably 18 months left, but I’m told I can’t take my skills test until I’ve passed all the exams. I’d love to get me licence this year, this summer, so lots of study to do.

Funnily enough I’m not nervous about the rest of the course now, just enjoying the experience.
Milty, T6Harvard liked this
By FlightDek
Milty wrote:It is a great feeling. Don’t be concerned about how long it’s taken. It’s your journey and if you’ve got the money, what does it matter (just remember there is a time limit from passing exams to passing skills test (2 years from date of first exam I think) but if it takes longer, you just have to retake the exams. Just enjoy it.

Check this link, I think exams are valid for 2 years from the date of your last exam, not the first one

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Private-Pilot-Licence-for-aeroplanes/
Milty, tr7v8 liked this
By FlyingBoot
Congratulations and it is a great feeling being allowed to fly all on your own. I am at a similar stage. I think on the first touch and go I was a little surprised just how quickly you get airborne again. Keep it up, I know I will.
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:I was once able to respond to an ATSU with
"Visual with the Zeppelin"

Welcome @IWF

Rob P

OK it was actually the Goodyear airship, but we all are allowed our fantasies.

I particularly remember "visual with that KLM Fokker"... :mrgreen:
Rob P liked this