Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By Rob P
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
#1869739
That must give you pause for thought. I know it would for me.

Rob P
tr7v8 liked this
User avatar
By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
#1869743
Rob P wrote:That must give you pause for thought. I know it would for me.

Rob P

Yup, my lessons for today got moved into a different C172 on Friday, got home and heard about the Ashford crash, put 2 & 2 together. The wife is not happy and been asked to stop lessons. Its close to home in all ways so will be a week of reflection. I tend to be very fatalistic so it doesn't worry me, but I suspect some spousal pressure will be there.
#1869750
tr7v8 wrote:
Rob P wrote:That must give you pause for thought. I know it would for me.

Rob P

Yup, my lessons for today got moved into a different C172 on Friday, got home and heard about the Ashford crash, put 2 & 2 together. The wife is not happy and been asked to stop lessons. Its close to home in all ways so will be a week of reflection. I tend to be very fatalistic so it doesn't worry me, but I suspect some spousal pressure will be there.

These things are always very multifactorial, and 85% are pilot error related to some extent. Learn from them, and don’t give up just yet!
tr7v8, StratoTramp liked this
By Cessna571
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
#1869772
@tr7v8
One of the aircraft I was learning in went in, with a double fatality.

It happened on take off and was pure pilot error. (The whole sequence of events was witnessed by my instructor).

I’ve always discussed accidents with my wife (who doesn’t fly), it helps to discuss what went wrong and how I’ve learnt from it.

I find the important thing is not to pretend it doesn’t happen, but instead to explain what did happen.
User avatar
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
#1869775
Not flying GA aircraft for the risk of a fatal accident can be a rational choice as that risk is higher than dying in a car crash or walking along the beach.

The risk is roughly the same as riding a horse or a motor bike.

Managing choices in a relational context is a very different matter for which I am sure not even the all knowing forum has a solution.

I have been flying and gliding all my life and Mrs FD supports and encourages that, never been an issue going together, taking the kids etc etc, but vehemently opposed to me getting a motorbike licence. Her two brothers have had serious bike accidents (survived) and she works in an orthopaedic trauma unit.

Is her stance rational? Nope. But I accept it as in the grand scheme of things it ain't worth the marital upset*




*I recently found out (again) that 'Well, if it is important to you, you go and do it' is easily misinterpreted even after 25 years........
t1m80, T6Harvard, A le Ron and 9 others liked this
User avatar
By Rob P
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
#1869794
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I recently found out (again) that 'Well, if it is important to you, you go and do it' is easily misinterpreted even after 25 years........


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Femspeak for "Don't you bloody dare"

Rob P
mick w, A le Ron, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
#1869808
I suppose the investigation will take quite a bit of time, hopefully if you keep flying maybe come back in a few months and post the reg for accident report. That said can just look it up.

You never know, like people say pilot error but also maybe they had a heart attack or something. shouldn't put you off the aircraft.

I agree with fatalism! I posted something on the other thread from the stoics, along the lines of "momento mori, but only so you remember to live and enjoy life" :thumleft: I echo what others say about could go from a car accident or anything. It's not a healthy way to live.

Anyway take some time like you say.
tr7v8 liked this