Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lutonwho
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:
JonathanB wrote:Eeep, I'm booked in for Friday 2nd July at 13:30! :shock:

I considered doing this for charity BUT, I thought it might give me vertigo and put me off flying. I'd LOVE to fly seated in a Stearman though!! * Sidles off to look for Stearman experience flights *

TG Aviation at Lydd do experience flights in their Stearman. LW
T6Harvard liked this
By JonathanB
Well I did it yesterday and it was amazing fun. I had to pay extra and go up a second time for Aeros of course! Video to follow once I’ve worked out how to edit the multiple shots together it to some sort of decent montage!
Dave W, Rob P, Mike Tango and 6 others liked this
By JonathanB
I edited a video of my flights... (my first go at "proper" video editing, so go easy!)

Many thanks to Mike Tango for the loan of the forward facing Go Pro.
rikur_, nallen, Mike Tango and 5 others liked this
By TopCat
Bloody hell!

Awesome. I got slightly sweaty palms watching the second half of that.

Couple of questions, if I may...

- What was the G like during the loops? You were standing up, which is presumably worse than sitting or lying down.
- Any vertigo? All that pointing straight down during the aeros!!
- What happens in a forced landing? That post you were strapped to was shorter than you, so if it landed in some crops, and nosed over, wouldn't it risk snapping your head off? There's no roll bar or equivalent?

Still... bloody well done. More balls than me.
By Hooligan
That's certainly one of the Tiger Club's Super Tigers - G-AOAA I think, so likely Tony Calvey. Think that might be Redhill.
By JonathanB
TopCat wrote:- What was the G like during the loops? You were standing up, which is presumably worse than sitting or lying down.

I don't remember it being bad - it's mostly poositive I think so you're being pushed "down" onto the wing. The harness is very secure as well.

TopCat wrote:- Any vertigo? All that pointing straight down during the aeros!!

Nope!

TopCat wrote:- What happens in a forced landing? That post you were strapped to was shorter than you, so if it landed in some crops, and nosed over, wouldn't it risk snapping your head off? There's no roll bar or equivalent?

Probably best not to think about that option. It did cross my mind that I would be somewhat inclined to release the harness (you have to pull and twist a locking pin first) and duck though...
TopCat liked this
By joystick
Hooligan wrote:That's certainly one of the Tiger Club's Super Tigers - G-AOAA I think, so likely Tony Calvey. Think that might be Redhill.

Yes Redhill airshow think it was 1988 and he has 1 leg .
By Mike Tango
JonathanB wrote:I edited a video of my flights... (my first go at "proper" video editing, so go easy!)

Brilliant! Rather you than me though :D

Random thought… wonder if anyone has ever barfed whilst on the wing, that could be messy.
By PeteSpencer
I should imagine the positive pressure of 90kt airflow at the victim, er, participant’s gob would keep the barf in. :roll:

@JonathanB Show us a picture of that famous smile /perma-grin !! :lol:
Mike Tango liked this
By Hooligan
joystick wrote:
Hooligan wrote:That's certainly one of the Tiger Club's Super Tigers - G-AOAA I think, so likely Tony Calvey. Think that might be Redhill.

Yes Redhill airshow think it was 1988 and he has 1 leg .

Got to be the time I saw him then, could have sworn it was 'CDC. Super shows those were...
joystick liked this