Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Easy for the talented and tricky for the ham-fisted due to their springy un-damped undercarriage. Not especially hard as taildraggers go in terms of directional control on the roll out. It takes a couple of flights to get used to the very rapid cruise. I certainly found a moving map to be essential for my first couple of bimbles in the South East where there is plenty to infringe for those with a 160kt aeroplane and a 90kt brain.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
A4 Pacific wrote:I’m not fully up to date with them, but Sportair at Goodwood look to have a Christen Eagle and a Super Decathlon.

Might be worth a phone call?

https://www.sportair.co.uk/fleet

Sadly TPSY is no longer with them, having gone elsewhere
ccm liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Are these RVs not meant to be easy?

They are very benign considering their capability

My conversion to type was with the heroic previous owner sitting behind me in NADZ with no instruments, engine controls or brakes and just a stick.

This with about 16 hours tailwheel, mostly on C152.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Rob P wrote:

They are very benign considering their capability

My conversion to type was with the heroic previous owner sitting behind me in NADZ with no instruments, engine controls or brakes and just a stick.

This with about 16 hours tailwheel, mostly on C152.

Rob P

If this was, as I suspect, in the venerable G-HART then Sir, I am not worthy.

After an hour in that I knew the Mighty Texan Taildragger was something I would have to forego further experience of, same Austers.

Need to find someone mad enough to take me up in an RV. Curious now.

Asking for a friend.

This thread has put me right off getting one.

"Easy" is a matter of experience & opinion. Someone with hundreds of hours on a tailwheel IO-540 powered Maule would not have any difficulty; but someone with only a few hours on a Cub or Taylorcraft might struggle.

RVs all have high speed; high energy; very slippery and low drag and low landing speeds. This is what makes them so appealing and valuable. And perhaps challenging.

They can be landed on microlight strips (in the right hands). Dick van whossisname was very clever in what he made, despite being (then) an amateur.

He has since developed many models (including the 4-seat RV10; about the same size of a Cirrus). The Rotax-powered models I'm not so sure about; but that's a matter of opinion.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I moved up from a Luscombe and had no trouble once I was in the front. Chip had only just completed his TW endorsement in a Cub or similar and also had very little trouble, proving that it's not so much the time on TWs but having an aptitude for them. Chip was diligent, did his homework, knew all the numbers, and takes his flying very seriously. His aptitude and attitude meant he was absolutely right to have been let loose on the 8 after such little TW time. Since being in the group and having flown with him, I can say I would cheerfully send my children up with him, which isn't a complement I pay to many pilots. If the OP is made of similar stuff to Chip then I would think he will check out very quickly.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:If this was, as I suspect, in the venerable G-HART then Sir, I am not worthy.

After an hour in that I knew the Mighty Texan Taildragger was something I would have to forego further experience of

It was a perk that came with the job at Atlantic / Atlantique. It's pretty easy to tolerate anything that's free. Actually I grew to like HART.

And my 'grown-up' call sign. "Atlantic 44"

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I was for a while the group instructor on an 8 and would agree with Wide Body, it is not so much the lack of brakes in the back but the cr@@py rudder setup! I would always get new members who had no tailwheel to do a tailwheel course on another, more suitable aircraft then sit them in the back to get the landing (directional control with the rear rudders is NOT good) then move them to the front once the had the three point OK, so very much backing up what has been discussed already. Now I am up North I am in a “7” group and conversions are MUCH easier! :D
Flyin'Dutch' liked this