Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Dave W wrote:FWIW and IME, Android tablets do not shut down when they overheat in the sun; they stop charging (if connected) but otherwise carry on as before.

In the event that my tablet was to fail, I would revert to my phone.

In the event that the GPS signal was to fail, I would use the tablet/phone as a non-moving map. And if necessary make more use of the radio.

Precautionary landing, surely?
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:Anyone watch "Skies Above Britain" a week or so ago? "Would you fly in a light aircraft?" a Heathrow controller was asked. "No way - dangerous little things that are not maintained properly" was the gist of his response on national TV.

Yes, I did see that. And no, it wasnt ironic or tongue in cheek unfortunately...
matthew_w100 wrote:Anyone watch "Skies Above Britain" a week or so ago? "Would you fly in a light aircraft?" a Heathrow controller was asked. "No way - dangerous little things that are not maintained properly" was the gist of his response on national TV.

Reminds me of the old Porcupine joke.

I'll get my coat
townleyc liked this
By James Chan
If you'd said that a year ago, you would have had the mass of the Forum Mighty fall upon your head. Interesting that the safety prefects seem to be toning it down a bit now...

Many have given up I think.

Everyone knows the solutions which have already been long identified and solved in other countries elsewhere. But for now the powers will say they can’t be done here and step around it, and add more track miles with Take 5 etc etc
Rob P liked this
Old story, oft told:
My first flight abroad was from my home base in the centre of England to Cannes (pre-gps days). I only spoke on the radio to two Formal aeronautical stations: London Info on the climb-out to file the flight plan, and Cannes for the landing clearance; each a week apart.

(I did chat to the various French airfield frequencies that we stayed at during each overnight stop, but that was a lot less formal [and in their language]).
kanga liked this
By MichaelP
‘Took Condor G ATAU on one of my holiday trips to Switzerland.
Had a 25 channel Nipper radio in a wooden box with a few spare crystals, only one frequency was usable, Le Touquet Gonio.

No radio, across France, around Switzerland, customs airports... Not a problem.

A few years later Redhill became mandatory radio, and on a 720ch frequency. The rot set in.

I’d argue that the increase in technology: radios, transponders, EC, GPS etc is inversely proportional to the amount of touring the average private pilot does these days.
Perry took his Jodel 112 almost non radio, and definitely no transponder, but using his phone to navigate, to Switzerland last year, good for him. You can still almost have as much fun as I did in the Condor just over thirty years ago.

Modern electronics and turbo charged retractable tourers are very much a them and us situation now, with us not being able to afford much flying in our cheap little old unequipped aeroplanes these days.
By Paul_Sengupta
MichaelP wrote:with us not being able to afford much flying in our cheap little old unequipped aeroplanes these days.

The modern successor would be something like the Europa. Europa owners seem to do a lot of touring, with their fuel costs being minimal!
Anyway, now we've discussed this one to death, is one of our Community Leaders (I've always loved that phrase; how do you get to be a Community Leader and be on the News?) going to contact the CAA and explain that their latest missive has been received with derision and made them a laughing stock? And that if they want people to take TEM seriously and not just dismiss it as "management b0ll0##s " they need to be taking a different approach? To use more "management b0ll0##s " these arevery much "parent/child" rather than "adult/adult" transactions.
matthew_w100 wrote: ... is one of our Community Leaders going to contact the CAA and explain that their latest missive has been received with derision and made them a laughing stock?

Do you honestly think the CAA would listen? :roll:

Rob P
Shoestring Flyer liked this
Morten wrote:Bringing such things to the attention of the competent authority would be easy if that competent authority had an email address which went to an inbox which was read by someone :)..[

.. letter (envelope, stamp) .. ? Difficult wholly to overlook or delete with 'finger trouble'. Even easy (at a bit more expense) to create and send a copy to one's MP :)