Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SLH74
I'd vote Eddsfield and Breighton.
Eddsfield is a lovely location and Breighton - on a nice weekend - will have all the historic aircraft out and flying, aerobatics going on, etc.
SLH74 wrote:I'd vote Eddsfield and Breighton.
Eddsfield is a lovely location and Breighton - on a nice weekend - will have all the historic aircraft out and flying, aerobatics going on, etc.

It depends if the OP is going on a weekday or weekend.
Eddsfield on a weekday and you will probably be sitting there eating your taken sandwiches on your own!
Only slightly better at Breighton on a weekday but still no food.
mick w liked this
Hand on heart, I haven't read the three pages of replies to the OP so apologies if this is repetition.

I understand, RobP, that this is for a day trip, rather than an overnight.

Being from Yorkshire (and still living here), there are lots of airfields in Yorkshire, but not so many with much to do within spitting distance. I assume that you don't want to fly into an airfield where the nearest decent eatery or point of interest is a long taxi ride away.

Taking into account the above criteria, my suggested shortlist would be as follows:

1. Bagby. 700m grass (land uphill on 06, take off downhill on 24). Lunch at The Crab and Lobster at Asenby. Taxi ride, but only 7 miles. You should book the taxi well in advance, and also a table the pub as it gets busy. Fairly pricey, but very smart gastropub. You get what you pay for etc.

2. Rufforth. Wander round and lunch in York. Again a taxi ride, but only 10-15 mins. Again you need to pre-book taxi.

3. Beverley. Not a lot at the airfield itself (not sure about level of catering) but Beverley town is a well heeled market town - again a taxi ride of about 20 mins, and pre-booking a taxi essential.

4. Either of Retford (Gamston) or Sherburn-in-Elmet. Former has quite a posh bistro style restaurant on site. However, irregular opening hours so you need to book. Nothing else within short distance of interest however. Sherburn - a lovely field with a decent greasy spoon cafe and nice outside seating area. Open 9am to 7pm most days. But again, nothing much else of interest within spitting distance (Sherburn village is a bit of a dump). If you're going for a day out in York, Rufforth is closer.

As to Huddersfield (Crosland Moor), the surrounding area is a dump but that probably doesn't matter if you just intend to stay at the field for lunch.

HTH.
Rob P liked this