Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By jtuggey
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good evening,
It’s a long while since I’ve flown to Jersey from my home airfield of Sherburn. The airspace around Southampton and the Solent CTA looks much more restricted to navigate. I have my IR(R). My initially thoughts are: EGCJ GAM DTY CPT AVANT ORIST DOMOK EGJJ at FL40. Can I ask the learned folk in the forum to advise? Is this a reasonable route out?

I want to practice my ILS into Jersey. Do I have to request IFR in my flight Plan to enable this, or can I just request radar vectors for ILS when I contact Jersey Control?

Any helpful comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
By skydriller
jtuggey wrote:The airspace around Southampton and the Solent CTA looks much more restricted to navigate.

Well, since Flybe are no more and C19 has restricted everybody, I would be surprised if their airspace is even active right now... if it is, they are probably bored... :wink:
By Iceman
I’d remove AVANT and ask for an IFR transit via SAM. They should accommodate as they’re not exactly busy at the moment.

You need not necessarily file an IFR flight plan for Jersey. Just request an IFR entry and ILS when you call up Jersey Control.

Iceman 8)
AlanM liked this
Any flight plan (V/I/Z/Y) is fine!

We will have your details in our electronic flight strip system. It will promote a squawk to the controller depending on your flight rules (37xx for VFR and 12xx for IFR). You have to have a squawk that denotes your flight rules (local rule) as an IFR squawk offers more alerting for the Controller within the Radar Safety Nets. (Clearly we don’t want two VFRs flashing red when within 3 miles )

So, as we will have your details from your FPL, I would make the first call “c/s, with information x requesting IFR zone entry and and ILS approach” (yeah, I know it doesn’t match CAP413, but it wastes your time giving the usual blurb).

Generally, if we use the Guernsey Radar source we can see up towards KATHY at FL40 - but we cannot give anything other than a Basic Service outside CAS. If Southampton are open you should get into their CTA - as mentioned, they are not that busy so will probably be able to help you.

Of course, you can enter the CTR/CTA VFR if you wish and change to IFR later on for the approach. [Just expect a squawk change.]

Feel free to message if you have any more Questions at all.
scd975, Iceman, Andrew Sinclair and 5 others liked this
By James Chan
The airspace around Southampton and the Solent CTA looks much more restricted to navigate.

Don’t be put off by the many small fillets. Once you’ve got a clearance, which is fairly easy these days, they essentially become irrelevant. :thumleft:
By Irv Lee
And note if you happen to be slightly further west than you expect, there are secret morning handshakes every day between Solent and Bournemouth that hand over the cta directly above the latter’s CTR to them, so have 119.480 ready as reserve as a possible frequency switch when calling Solent if something eg weather forces you nearer BIA rather than SAM.
By jtuggey
Just some feedback having successfully completed a wonderful weekend in Jersey. VFR flight plan from EGCJ DCT GAM DCT DTY DCT CPT DCT SAM DCT ORISK DCT DOMOK DCT JSY DCT EGJJ. Solent ATC were very accommodating and allowed IR transit at 4000’. Jersey gave vectors to ILS. Return journey equally non problematic. Jersey Aeroclub, having just reopened was easy - refuelling on stand 20 on departure. Covid swab (wouldn’t accept the UK lab that I had already submitted) was done down the road with new queuing.
AlanM liked this
jtuggey wrote:Just some feedback having successfully completed a wonderful weekend in Jersey. VFR flight plan from EGCJ DCT GAM DCT DTY DCT CPT DCT SAM DCT ORISK DCT DOMOK DCT JSY DCT EGJJ. Solent ATC were very accommodating and allowed IR transit at 4000’. Jersey gave vectors to ILS. Return journey equally non problematic. Jersey Aeroclub, having just reopened was easy - refuelling on stand 20 on departure. Covid swab (wouldn’t accept the UK lab that I had already submitted) was done down the road with new queuing.

Glad it went well for you. Did you get your PCR test result back in good time (6 hours or so?)
skydriller wrote:
jtuggey wrote:The airspace around Southampton and the Solent CTA looks much more restricted to navigate.

Well, since Flybe are no more and C19 has restricted everybody, I would be surprised if their airspace is even active right now... if it is, they are probably bored... :wink:

Just as well we don't rely on forums for NOTAMs :D
Solent CTA and Southampton CTR/ATZ operating hours are- Mon-Sat 0530-2100
Sun 0630-2100
Outside of these hours, Southampton CTR and all Solent CTA will be Deactivated and reclassified class G. To facilitate ATC breaks ATS May not be available. Service availability will be tactically Managed to accomodate scheduled movements
By Iceman
jtuggey wrote:Sorry for not replying sooner. Jersey PCR swab came back within 6 hours. As we’d been vaccinated already we weren’t required to quarantine pending the results.

That’s changed again, I believe, Jersey having put the UK mainland back in the red zone, necessitating quarantine until your PCR test result is available.

Iceman 8)