Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
bilko2 wrote:IMHO having some digital device looking for EC signals from other aircraft (military or not) seems much more sensible.

Indeed. I feel like I'm already doing what they're asking. Just tune in to my ADS-B transmissions.

Of course that doesn't help with communicating intentions. Maybe there's some scope for a common frequency to use for that, but I think the position report noise is going to make it more effort than it's worth.
ls8pilot, gaznav liked this
Charles Hunt wrote:Is there a chart giving an overview of the low flying areas?

xtophe wrote:There is a map at https://www.aidu.mod.uk/aip/pdf/enr/ENR-6-15.pdf

So basically this does not apply bar a couple of tiny areas?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The part of EAnglia that our aeroplane resides in and frequently bimbles is ‘LFA 5’.

So I’d expect the Apaches to start using this trial frequency as they skirt round us on the way to STANTA ‘speshly as we’re now on their LFA charts :wink:
Rob P wrote:So basically this does not apply bar a couple of tiny areas?

Rob, I think you may be misreading the chart? :wink:

The chart itself is from 2019 and was not produced for this exercise in particular. My understanding is, and I believe the chart confirms, the whole of the UK (maybe with the exception of around London?) is ('always' has been) designated as a Low Level Area. The areas marked with shading and carrying the T prefix are Tactical Training Areas.

My reading of the trial is that it applies anywhere in mainland Great Britain below 2000'?

Why NI and the islands are excluded is anyones guess??

Happy to be corrected if I have it wrong. :thumright:
Rob P liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
Rob, I think you may be misreading the chart?

My reading of the trial is that it applies anywhere in mainland Great Britain below 2000'?

I guess you are right. It seems on a par with a lot of the muddled thinking we are seeing of late

As a point of interest, is this:-
With an increasing trend of Airprox between military and civilian users in the Low Flying System

factual, or a made up statistic? With the rapidly diminishing number of aircraft operated by the RAF I would have thought the trend would inevitably be downwards

PeteSpencer wrote:I’d expect the Apaches to start using this trial frequency as they skirt round us on the way to STANTA

How do you see that working then? With Knettishall operating on Safetycom and not all the aircraft being blessed with two radios?

Is the expectation that the Apaches will be repeatedly broadcasting their presence, or that the based aircraft will be self-announcing on both frequencies for approach and departure?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Thanks Rob
‘I’m actually just expecting them to steer clear .
During the 18 months that I’ve been negotiating with the military AIDU the Apache crowd have had a notice up in their briefing room and individual pilots have phoned us if they’re going to be particularly active in our area.

So win-win really ; It remains to be seen if we get any more bum tweaking zero ft overflights . :wink:

Hopefully we’ll get another drop in request this year-
We had one arranged for last year but the Apache in question went tech….. :roll:
PeteSpencer wrote:Thanks Rob
‘I’m actually just expecting them to steer clear .

Rather than fanny around with another frequency to no great effect?

Yes, that works, but I can't believe it was the intention of the trial

Rob P
By mpk
About time UK had this, works like this in SA for eg. So if not in receipt of a LARS this should be the default I think for position reporting to make others aware. The only problem is it is just one frequency, would make better sense to split UK into say 4 areas with their own frequencies. And mandate that nobody then uses 'London info' for the utterly pointless way that many do, to receive what they think is some beneficial 'service'! London info should only be used for that, information eg weather and activating a FP.
By Irv Lee
For those GA pilots without radar height read outs...
[wellINeverknewthat]
Tapping altitude on SD gives height over ground
[/wellINeverknewthat]

[wellINeverknewthat]
Tapping altitude on SD gives height over ground, and then not tapping it again to return to altitude might lead to confusion later
[/wellINeverknewthat]