Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
I read this thread with some surprise.

Mike, SkyDemon doesn’t purport to be a flight guide. We tell people where airfields are, and give them sufficient contact details to get in touch with the airfield or get PPR. Sometimes we also have a diagram of the airfield and circuit pattern.

As someone above noted, the person who compiles the AFE flight guide also works for SkyDemon.

Nobody has lifted or copied your data, and nobody is suggesting to anyone that we’re giving them a comprehensive list of all the things they need in order to visit your strip.
Rob P, PeteSpencer, 2Donkeys and 15 others liked this
@mikehallam

I wonder why you don't just send the same details you supply to Pooleys and AFE to @Tim Dawson ?

Does the reason lie here?

mikehallam wrote:Either way it's unacceptable and as l still use chart and look out...

A one man crusade against progress?

mikehallam wrote: I'll carry on asking PPO visitors to read their Pooleys or AFE Guides as that allows a quick decsion.

Alternatively if near my p.c. I'd send the gen.

Many of us don't use the published guides any more and it would seem to make more sense to have the same information available on the system we use rather than to require you to leap to your computer to facilitate our visit?

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, 2Donkeys and 3 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:@mikehallam

I wonder why you don't just send the same details you supply to Pooleys and AFE to @Tim Dawson ?

Many of us don't use the published guides any more and it would seem to make more sense to have the same information available on the system we use rather than to require you to leap to your computer to facilitate our visit?

Rob P

Yeah but, no but, My inference from Tim's post is that he doesn't want SD to become a quasi flight guide, merely a portal for contact details.

There is no need to leap to a computer: Our safety briefing goes out on the same medium as that used to receive the PPR request: email, text, what's app: I've even had a telephone conversation. :roll:

These new fangled smartphones really are the D's Bs. :wink:
PeteSpencer wrote:There is no need to leap to a computer

Indeed not. I was merely repeating what Mike had said he would do. But thanks anyway for the pointers on modern communications. Very useful. :|

Rob P
I think the question boils down to if you want visitors to your airstrip or not?
Just checked your details on EasyVfr and it says 'PPR Essential'. You obviously feel strongly about the current situation so why not make it 'PPR Mandatory' if you do still actually want visitors.
Or alternatively if you don't want visitors at all change it to-
' Private Airstrip -No visitors allowed'.
The latter would probably do wonders for your public liability insurance premium which I guess you do through the Flying Farmers Association!
mikehallam wrote:B.T.W.
Pilots requesting permission to land on my strip are asked to refer to Pooleys or A.F.E. guides because both of them ask annually for updates this means l only need mention newer hazards for someone new.
Lately some applicants say they've seen the details on Skydemon. I've no idea what it has or not, as its publishers (?) have never had the decency to ask me.

Mike, you are really getting your knickers in a twist.
Time to catch up with the 21st century:
1. You give your info willingly to Pooleys and AFE.
2. Did you know that Pooleys and AFE sell this data?.
3. Did you know that Pooleys and AFE also sell this info in electronic format (not only paper)?
4. Did you know that within Skydemon you can purchase said Pooleys and AFE electronic information as an add-on to Skydemon?
5. Did you know that Skydemon users can bring up said Pooleys and AFE electronic data within Skydemon?
6. Did you know that as a result Skydemon users can contact you and say they found your strip details in Skydemon??

(Mods, can you split this whole subject off from the Somerset incident?)