Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
This just in from the LAA and your support would be most gratefully appreciated, whether you homebuild or not.

This will affect a large part of the Flyer community, some who are not LAA members so the more support the better to get proper consultation. We operate and build recreational aeroplanes, not commercial aeroplanes within an airline environment !

Please include a full name, address and contact number when you submit.

Mike N

Dear LAA Member

On 1st April 2021, the CAA launched a stakeholder consultation on proposed changes to British Civil Airworthiness Requirements, known as BCAR or CAP 553, and two segments which apply to the LAA and BMAA - Chapter A3-7: Permit to Fly Aircraft: Initial and Continuing Airworthiness and Chapter A8-26: Approval of Organisations Supporting Recreational Aviation. This is the mechanism by which the CAA delegates the oversight privileges to an approved organisation such as the LAA.

The LAA has serious reservations about many of the changes proposed, which includes the introduction of large swathes of regulation from the certified world which significantly increase bureaucracy and the cost of providing an airworthiness service with no commensurate improvement in the safety of our activities. If these changes are passed, the costs of the additional administration and bureaucracy will inevitably have to be passed on through higher fees to LAA members.

The CAA in their consultation document https://bit.ly/3wcvXsi, asks that responses name specific paragraph references and suggested changes or comments. At a meeting with the head of the GA and RPAS Unit at the end of April it was agreed that the narrow terms of the consultation were an opportunity lost, and therefore wider responses covering the whole of A3-7 and A8-26, not just the immediate revisions, would be accepted. We are preparing a detailed line by line response to the consultation, but we encourage you to respond with the core messages below.

We have until 27 May 2021 to send comments to the CAA by email to ga@caa.co.uk. We would therefore urge you as members and stakeholders, to respond to the public consultation by asking the CAA to withdraw these proposals. Please note, it will be your only chance to do so.

We believe the CAA should temporarily withdraw these proposals and only resubmit them after a collaborative working group has been convened and a proper consensus with both BMAA and LAA achieved.

In addition, much of A3-7 is inapplicable to recreational aviation when controlled by the sporting organisations and we recommend that A8-26 is decoupled from A3-7, with only agreed and relevant clauses from A3-7 incorporated in A8-26.

A fuller text, including further detail is attached. I hope this gives you the information required to make a suitably informed response.

I hope you will assist us by taking a moment to respond.

Kind regards

Steve Slater

CEO
Stampe liked this
By ak7274
Pressing safety case my a*#e. More like another pressing case for job creation/retention at the CAA.
Red tape challenge? Deregulate where possible? Best Country in the World for GA?
Sorry CAA GAU. You got it wrong......... .. again.
Sort out the problems that exist, not problem that don't. This is so exasperating. Common sense just passes them by.
Robin500, JodelDavo liked this
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It would seem like not a lot of time to respond to some far-reaching changes …
By Paul_Sengupta
It was highlighted on this forum some while back that not all LAA aircraft may be 100% inspected to the same standard. I guess the CAA have taken note and decided to intervene, though maybe using the proverbial sledgehammer to crack that particular nut.
By nallen
@G-BLEW Maybe it's time for another chat with Sophie O'Sullivan, Ian.
G-BLEW liked this
By Rob L
Robin500 wrote:I’ve held the opinion for a while now that they’re trying to finish off recreational flying by the back door. .
<Rob L snip>....

I don't believe they're doing that intentionally [why would they?], but possibly out of ignorance of their understanding of recreational flying.
The CAA are responsible to the Department for Transport, DfT, and the DfT are to my knowledge not imposing similar changes within the motorsport; home-built cars, home-built water craft or boating communities in general?
Or are they? (I'm not involved in any of those other sporting activities, so I'd welcome input).

Long ago, the CAA supported their staff (certainly small aerodrome Inspection staff) getting a PPL so that the staff gained an understanding of what aviation was. That went by the wayside decades ago :( .

<resumption of Rob L snip>
Robin500 wrote:.... As environmental and so called climate change play an ever bigger role in our lives, pressure will only increase.

I don't disagree. But GA is a cheap stab for theDfT.
After private flying will be Commercial Air Transport, cruise ships, cars.

Then in 10-30 years time we'll be talking about wind turbines coming to the end of their lives; with all the problems of recycling ( :roll: ) carbon fibre in the watercourses etc.
Recycling (or not) of old solar panel farms, scrapped and landfilled will follow after. Perhaps drifting from the thread intent; so be it.

Rob L
Robin500, Spooky liked this
By skydriller
nallen wrote:@G-BLEW Maybe it's time for another chat with Sophie O'Sullivan, Ian.

I seem to remember the word "blacklisted" used the other night... :pale:
By Robin500
ak7274 wrote:Pressing safety case my a*#e. More like another pressing case for job creation/retention at the CAA.
Red tape challenge? Deregulate where possible? Best Country in the World for GA?
Sorry CAA GAU. You got it wrong......... .. again.
Sort out the problems that exist, not problem that don't. This is so exasperating. Common sense just passes them by.

This hits the nail squarely on the head imo. They always have to search for problems that don’t exist. Maybe there needs to be some redundancies.
Last edited by Robin500 on Mon May 17, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
skydriller wrote:
nallen wrote:@G-BLEW Maybe it's time for another chat with Sophie O'Sullivan, Ian.

I seem to remember the word "blacklisted" used the other night... :pale:

That seems to be in relation to the DfT, not the CAA, although communicating with people there is more difficult than it used to be.

Ian