Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
malcolmfrost wrote:
The lady lives in the house I've circled the proposed runway orientation is the green line.

Our airstrip has habitations on the extended centreline within half a mile of both directions of the runway, not to mention a farm and a (shock, horror) boarding school underneath what would normally be considered the 'downwind' leg.
Not to mention three villages and a hamlet within a mile all round the strip.

Careful briefing with diagrams (acknowledgements to Tim @ SD ) and mandatory PPR allows angled approaches and departures and a sympathetic and deliberate 'bomber command' circuit avoids the farm and school..

We have had no noise complaints in the 28 years I have flown from our strip.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat May 08, 2021 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Dave W
Supported, linking to the Stow Maries wildlife page as an example of the ecological value and citing my own (good) experience living close on the centreline of a similar grass strip when even my own interest can result being unaware of arrivals and departures..
By Cessna571
Crash one wrote:Probably if you calculate a 3 degreee approach path (airline pilot thinking) then low level for some distance is possible.
Who is feeding the bullets?

That’s my point, they are not even real bullets.

“7500 movements a year, mainly on Sundays, at 200’ over a residential area.”

I hope the planning committee do their job properly.
By Flying_john
malcolmfrost wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:
When people are spreading fake facts against a planning application, does it make it easier to get it through I wonder?

If that lady DOES live 50 feet from the end of the proposed runway, I think we need to be told before we support the proposal.

The lady lives in the house I've circled the proposed runway orientation is the green line.
I must confess to having some sympathy, from Headcorn to the East there are no fewer than 11 strips shown on SkyDemon, probably more than are in the whole of Surrey! Is another really needed?

I too have some sympathy for the person living in the climbout and wonder if a slight runway re-orientation might help.

As for 11 strips to the East, I can only name these ,excluding the farm strip cluster in Weald between Headcorn and Ashford and glider and microlight sites, the only available ones to GA are:-
Clipgate
Pent Farm
Lydd

The other strips are definitely not like the proposed new airfield.
klutz liked this
By chevvron
JodelDavo wrote:

The complainant that caused the biggest issue at my local airfield in the past was a retired BA Captain.

Complainants at Farnborough included a BA captain and his stewardess wife who had actually visited the airfield and were fully aware of it then moved into a house on about 1nm final.
Another when I helped run a gliding course at Little Rissington in '91 was also a BA stewardess; when the gliding school CO apologised to the parish council they replied they loved having 'their' airfield used again and had no objections and woe betide anyone who did complain.
ChampChump wrote:The document that shows arrival and departure routes shows a dog leg on 04, which, with a displaced theshold, keeps aircraft high and away from habitations.

It doesn’t publish a circuit patter though!
By Dave W
Few airstrips of that type have a formal pattern/circuit though.

Ours doesn't, for example and that's deliberate - arrive and depart with minimum impact on the locals, making effective calls on SafetyCom and eyes well peeled.

Typically that means arriving on base or long final, not flying a circuit. Being discreet is good for everybody.
By PeteSpencer
Our strip on the other hand is more specific : The PPR briefing, because of five noise sensitive areas at all four points of the compass on the line of what would normally be regarded as the ‘circuit’, including both extended centrelines , specifies angled approaches and departures as well as all (deliberate bomber command) circuits to the north.

In addition Safetycom is used liberally ( the aeromodellers have a scanner and a spotter to monitor it ) and the briefing mandates overhead joins to give time for their ‘spotter’ to get models landed .

While this close supervision has been met with scorn in the past, we have not had a noise complaint for 28 years :wink:
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Dave W wrote:Including a letter from the Airfield Advisory Team at the CAA. :thumleft:

Have you got a name? I’ve waded through.and can’t find it