Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:
Rob P wrote:But this still leaves the fanboies banging on at mind-numbing length and frequency about why everyone should fall in line with their choice and never consider anything they deem as inferior. Mentioning no names.

Rob P

Rob, isn’t that what a bulletin board forum is for? To discuss matters between ourselves as like minded GA pilots with various backgrounds, experiences and preferences? :thumright:

gaznav liked this
By gaznav
[*]
ak7274 wrote:And there is now the "SafeSky" app
:?:

Except it says “App Not Available This app is currently not available in your country or region.” :?:

I tried to have a look at this the other day, to see what it offered.
By Straight Level
nallen wrote:
gaznav wrote:
Rob P wrote:But this still leaves the fanboies banging on at mind-numbing length and frequency about why everyone should fall in line with their choice and never consider anything they deem as inferior. Mentioning no names.

Rob P

Rob, isn’t that what a bulletin board forum is for? To discuss matters between ourselves as like minded GA pilots with various backgrounds, experiences and preferences? :thumright:

@gaznav will be along any minute to tell us that the chap in the video is doing it all wrong and it needs a scientific study by an independent expert to show how to grind an axe correctly.

SL
gaznav, nallen liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
The problem at present as I see it is that it is currently uncomfortable for someone to come on here and say that product A or B , not just talking about EC here, all products, doesn't work properly or is poor value for money without the manufacturer of that product leaping in and actually shouting down with probably their superior technical knowledge that the person making the statement about their product just doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

A free and open debate about a products performance between pilots would be much healthier in my view and would generate more forunites willing to talk freely about thie experiences with a given product or what works better for them and is better value for money.
Last edited by Shoestring Flyer on Mon May 03, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaznav liked this
By ak7274
gaznav wrote:[*]
ak7274 wrote:And there is now the "SafeSky" app
:?:

Except it says “App Not Available This app is currently not available in your country or region.” :?:

I tried to have a look at this the other day, to see what it offered.

Available on google play.
I have it on my phone. Tried it over a few days, seems to be worth looking at, especially for minimal cockpit, paramotor, SSDR etc.
gaznav liked this
By Mike Tango

Rob P

Nobody is forcing anybody here to read anything they don't want to. Forum masochism is entirely self inflicted :D
Rob P, gaznav liked this
By Rob P
@Mike Tango

Whilst that is patently a truism, (but thank you for helping out anyway) this is an important topic and not reading it because of the tedium of some of the posters would seem unwise.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon May 03, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaznav, lobstaboy, Mike Tango and 1 others liked this
By gaznav
@ak7274

Just for other’s benefit, I share the link: https://www.safesky.app/en#app-info

However, the same old question remains. What output does this give for others to see you? Does everyone need to download it to see you? What reliance is there on ground network infrastructure? What is the likely take up by Commercial Air Transport and Military Aviation?

At face value it looks a great idea (unless you’re an Apple iOS user! :lol: ), but the same questions spring to mind again :thumleft:
By ls8pilot
Shoestring Flyer wrote:The problem at present as I see it is that it is currently uncomfortable for someone to come on here and say that product A or B , not just talking about EC here, all products, doesn't work properly or is poor value for money without the manufacturer of that product leaping in and actually shouting down with probably their superior technical knowledge that the person making the statement about their product just doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

A free and open debate about a products performance between pilots would be much healthier in my view and would generate more forumites willing to talk freely about their experiences with a given product or what works better for them and is better value for money.

I agree. We do need & benefit from healthy debate and the ability to challenge some assertions or interpretations of data. My concern is that the manner in which things are presented can delay or dissuade people from making decisions - especially as sometimes the arguments are quite technical. Heated debate however does'nt really help & we should maybe find a way to separate the technical "what do these numbers tell us" from those simply wanting to share real-life experiences or ask "how to" questions.
By Straight Level
gaznav wrote:@ak7274

Just for other’s benefit, I share the link: https://www.safesky.app/en#app-info
However, the same old question remains. What output does this give for others to see you? Does everyone need to download it to see you? What reliance is there on ground network infrastructure? What is the likely take up by Commercial Air Transport and Military Aviation?

At face value it looks a great idea (unless you’re an Apple iOS user! :lol: ), but the same questions spring to mind again :thumleft:

Their web site says the app sends your GPS position to servers over GSM (3G 4G?) network and then the servers send those local positions of the other app users / OGN data back you you; again over the GSM 3G 4G network.

At first glance it appears to be not much more than running Flight Radar on your phone unless they have worked out a clever way to overcome the network latency.
Even if they have overcome the latency issue, the scratchy nature of the mobile network coverage at say 3,000ft would render the app useless ?
Perhaps worth a test to see how it fares.
gaznav liked this
By CloudHound
I noticed the “plane” was a JMB VL-3 Evolution 912.

Hopefully to be approved in the UK 600kg microlight class by CAA later this year.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I truly wish I'd never started this thread, @Global moderators could we have it locked please :roll:

@leemoore1966 I'd be interested to see the air to air results in due course with some suitable qualification on how they were obtained and analysed.
By ak7274
Not having a horse in this race, nor anything to gain from I'm best, He's worst, I certainly hope people judge these EC equipment apps based on evidence, not prejudices.
At first glance it appeared to work for me over the last couple of days. I also have sky echo and PAW, but this is standalone on a smartphone with no need for a tablet running nav devices.
As such it just gives a psuedo radar screen with parameters set by the pilot.
The thought that perhaps people read the information given by the people at safesky before jumping in with opinions isn't the right way to go.
I am sceptical as to signal reliability and latency, but let's give it a chance.

Alan