Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By akg1486
Cub wrote:I love paper charts, in fact I collect them.

I travelled a lot for work between '89 and '08. I got a lot of city maps--some that I bought, some free tourist- or car rental maps--and I haven't been able to throw them out. They are in paper bags in the attic.

My outdated aeronautical charts I've donated to my club to use with the simulator.
By Uptimist
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:
Uptimist wrote:“A SOLAR STORM travelling at more than 500 kilometres per second”

At last, faster than speed of light travel discovered by the Express!

Um I think you'd better check your maths. ..

Indeed...brain not started up today yet! I mentally added three noughts. Sorry Express.
Uptimist wrote:“A SOLAR STORM travelling at more than 500 kilometres per second”

At last, faster than speed of light travel discovered by the Express!

:? I thought the speed of light was actually nearer 300,000 kilometres per second (186,000 miles per second in old money)...?
By foxmoth
If flying IFR then it's a PAN call and vectors because there's no way to navigate IFR with a map.

Then you should have a map and be able to use it along with a VOR!
AndyR liked this
By Cub
akg1486 wrote:
Cub wrote:I love paper charts, in fact I collect them.

I travelled a lot for work between '89 and '08. I got a lot of city maps--some that I bought, some free tourist- or car rental maps--and I haven't been able to throw them out. They are in paper bags in the attic.

My outdated aeronautical charts I've donated to my club to use with the simulator.

Any aeronautical charts, IAPs or AIPs before 1970 are of particular interest to me.
By riverrock
Must admit - I find it difficult to use a moving map in the air with GPS not showing me my position on it. If I'm staying fairly local / in areas I roughly know then I don't bother with paper. Going further, I put a line on paper.
By akg1486
Cub wrote:
akg1486 wrote:My outdated aeronautical charts I've donated to my club to use with the simulator.

Any aeronautical charts, IAPs or AIPs before 1970 are of particular interest to me.

Nice idea for a collection: probably requires more luck and perserverance than cash. You would have been welcome to mine, but those were some 35-45 years newer than what you are looking for.

One of my older non-aviation street maps is a map of London that my dad gave me when we went on a school trip to the UK. I just realized that we boarded the ferry for that trip exactly 40 years ago today. At 15 years old it was my first long trip away from my family and many of the memories are still quite vivid.
By JAFO
Cub wrote:Any aeronautical charts, IAPs or AIPs before 1970 are of particular interest to me.

Cub, I've got some War Office aviation charts:

Shetlands (1943)
SW England (1944)
Scotland SW (1943)
Orkneys (1943)
England NE (1942)
The Border (1942) - Property of Sgt Holden Course 27 23rd Dec 1943
Scotland North (1942)

and a civilian North Midlands (1952)

You're welcome to them if they're of interest.

If anyone else is interested, I've got some old airfield charts published by Newnes Aeronautics, some are in pretty awful shape but I'm happy to give them to anyone for whom they might be meaningful:

Shoreham
Southampton
Renfrew
Plymouth
Gravesend (Chalk)
Newcastle
Brough
Barton
Redhill
Exeter

As I say, some are in quite ropey condition but they're free.
GrahamB, Lockhaven liked this
By JAFO
Cub wrote:Very happy to pay the postage an perhaps make a donation to a charity of your choice?

Don't worry about the postage.

As many of the charts seem to have belonged to a sergeant in the RAF during the war then a couple of quid to RAFA would be nice in memory of Sgt Holden, whoever he was. If you ever track down who he was let me know, I think he may have been at RAF Bircham Newton.
gaznav liked this
By Cub
JAFO wrote:
Cub wrote:Very happy to pay the postage an perhaps make a donation to a charity of your choice?

Don't worry about the postage.

As many of the charts seem to have belonged to a sergeant in the RAF during the war then a couple of quid to RAFA would be nice in memory of Sgt Holden, whoever he was. If you ever track down who he was let me know, I think he may have been at RAF Bircham Newton.

Extremely kind. RAFA is also very close to my heart and I will certainly make a donation. Sgt Holden at RAF Bircham Newton is definitely a challenge worth a little investigation ;-)
gaznav liked this