Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Fellsteruk
Maybe I’m clueless from inexperience or just too anxious and parra... but loss of GPS or and EMP or just device failure bothers me so I always have two devices “one a backup” it’s my iPhone.

Along with a half mil chart which has my route on it.

OTT maybe but I like the redundancy :)
By Miscellaneous
Fellsteruk wrote:Along with a half mil chart which has my route on it.

OTT maybe but I like the redundancy :)

I'm curious, why do you choose to put your route on a chart rather than print the route from SD, or whatever you use?
By Fellsteruk
I’m still learning so I’m mostly doing what I was taught with little experience to have tried other things.

All that said I don’t like the SD briefing pack/maps “just my personal opinion.

I do print the SD plog which I use, on my knee pad, note times etc have an iOS device on the yoke with SD as reference and a half mill which I cross reference from time to time.

I’ll be honest use my half mil less when I’m on solo Nav but I do mark my chart with progress marks in case I need to reference it I know roughly where I am and where I was last time I checked it.
Miscellaneous liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
RisePilot wrote:I’ve never understood this fondness of our CAA charts; they’ve always been rubbish compared to the cheaper, easier to read and more frequently updated FAA TAC’s and Sectional’s.

I suspect you learnt in the States, people generally find the Charts they learnt on the easiest, personally I find the CAA ones easier than the American ones, probably for that reason.
Lockhaven liked this
By skydriller
foxmoth wrote:people generally find the Charts they learnt on the easiest,

I learnt to fly in the UK and find UK charts overcluttered. The French IGN charts are my favorites as they have clear airspace depiction and good ground features, closely followed by the German DFS ones with better ground depiction but less clear airspace. It was a sad day when Skydemon cut the french chart from their product.

Regards, SD..
RisePilot liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
I learnt in the US and I think the UK maps are by far the best. They've got the shading and detail correct as far as I'm concerned. When I first started flying, the UK half mil had *all* controlled airspace shaded blue, it was a nightmare. Through several iterations, the depiction has been changed and improved. When I first started, frequencies weren't on the map. Now they are. I find the detail, particularly the underlying topographical map, is good.

The US maps are pretty clear the many things but the depiction of complex areas of airspace can be a bit of a headache.
By matthew_w100
skydriller wrote:I learnt to fly in the UK and find UK charts overcluttered. The French IGN charts are my favorites as they have clear airspace depiction and good ground features, closely followed by the German DFS ones with better ground depiction but less clear airspace. It was a sad day when Skydemon cut the french chart from their product.

I've found I like the UK presentation for UK airspace, but the French seems to be a better depiction of French airspace. I haven't managed to put my finger on why this should be - what is the subtle difference in airspace structure - but I was very sad when SD removed the French chart style.

I don't know how you'd use an electronic chart without GPS. You can't draw on it properly. Only half the value of a paper chart is what the CAA has printed on it, the rest comes from the lines, measurements, wind vectors, waypoints, features, courses and timings that I have annotated it with for the specific journey in question.
By johnm
Blimey I have never planned a flight in that much detail since I got my PPL. SD provides a decent plog with waypoints and timings and should I find my map(s) stationary then plog and magenta line and finger should give all I need.

If flying IFR then it's a PAN call and vectors because there's no way to navigate IFR with a map.
By Rob P
matthew_w100 wrote:... the lines, measurements, wind vectors, waypoints, features, courses and timings that I have annotated it with for the specific journey in question.

I'm sorry, but life's too short for that nostalgia stuff.

Rob P
johnm, Tim Dawson, RisePilot liked this
By lobstaboy
Rob P wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:... the lines, measurements, wind vectors, waypoints, features, courses and timings that I have annotated it with for the specific journey in question.

Rob P

But it's fun! Same reason some folk like flying 70 year old aeroplanes.
AndyR liked this
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:

Rob P

I agree...Id never fly anywhere now without SD... But...

lobstaboy wrote:But it's fun! Same reason some folk like flying 70 year old aeroplanes.

He's right, I inherently like maps. I just do. I enjoy marking up a map, even if it is out of date...

Regards, SD..
kanga, AndyR liked this
Crikey - I don't actually do all that stuff now I have a moving map! But the premise of the thread was that you don't have GPS. If I'm relying on a chart to get me from one place to another, I want one I can draw on.

And in the old days I never had a separate plog. All plog data, and everything else I needed like frequencies, was marked on the chart, for a single reference source in the air. The sheaf of separate papers SD produces mystifies me.
Rob P liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
foxmoth wrote:Personally I find if I am back to basic nav it is easier to do it on a paper chart, I rather suspect that many who do it on the tablet have not actually tried doing it with GPS off!
It does not mean you have to use an “inevitably out of date piece of paper”, just print out your SD (or other electronic) map.

I do print out the SD plog. Using an inkjet printer to print a map for each flight would get through so much toner it is far cheaper to buy the paper chart and draw lines on it.
By Rallye
I have always a map with me,even for small distances and all the VAC's on the way.Also a GPS (2) and a VOR,plus petrol (enough to come back).
But it is maybe excessive .