Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By RisePilot
One note, the newer model GoPros must have the battery door removed (or buy a GoPro Mod Case) to charge while simultaneously recording - not ideal outside an aircraft. However, this can be solved by an aftermarket battery door for about £10. https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/for-gopro/products/ulanzi-g8-7-gopro-8-chargeable-battery-lid?variant=31067428159588

For helicopters this is easy as virtually every helicopter has an air vent near the front nose - needing only about 2 inches of external cable to reach the camera. I assume fixed-wing air vent locations differ greatly

Also, on a side note, whether you post your videos as public or private, I'd suggest having a look at Vimeo. It's better quality, more flexible, does not restrict your music choices and all-around better. In brief, Vimeo is for professionals/enthusiasts whereas YouTube is for any idiot with a camera.
By PA28
I use a Go Pro hero 5 session bought off ebay for £100. Great camera. Works well mounted to cockpit roof looking forwards using velcro. Not in the way of your view out. One of my students saved a fortune learning to land in just a few hours by recording each flight with a Go Pro.
By ROG
I use my dashcam from car--a nextbase. plugged into cigar lighter.
Excellent picture---adequate to give you a basic recording.
If you want something more specific for aircraft plenty of good advice above.
Hi @RisePilot et al,

Without going into a long story, I have a Hero4 Black, which I fitted and used for several fairly long trips several years ago, but got bored with it and gave up as I quite frankly found the (unedited) results extremely boring and couldn’t find the time (or perhaps inclination) to edit them. I was in any event limited in that respect to the footage the single camera had managed to capture, which rapidly became very ‘samey’.

Inspired by some of the superb results I have seen from others recently, I am minded to have another go - preferably with (at least initially) 2 cameras to allow more scope for added interest. In this respect, logic pointed me towards the obvious advantages of the new Hero9 - especially with the Superwide Max Lens option - but I have been put off by reports that its advanced stabilisation causes issues - especially by trying to flatten out the horizon during even modest airborne manoeuvres. Does anyone here have any experience of this? If this is an issue, would I be better to go for a Hero7 or 8? I would appreciate any advice in this respect, and also on users experiences with alternatives such as the Garmin VIRB with it’s apparent ability to add flight data to the captured video.

Regards
Peter
@exfirepro I had this problem very badly with a Hero 8 and turned stabilisation off. However the problems persisted to a degree and @RisePilot pointed out the linear setting also caused it. viewtopic.php?p=1811710#p1811710 Since changing the setting it has been fine.

Point of the post is that it is important to get the settings right for whichever camera you have. :thumright: My Hero 8 works fine now.

I quite agree unedited footage is boring. Several cameras with edited footage work much better.
exfirepro liked this
It doesn’t matter if you rig up 10 different cameras; unless you edit the footage and “tell a story” with your video, your results will be poor. You can make some great videos with just one camera.

Good video will be a mix of both technical and creativity. Even Steven Spielberg couldn’t make some kid doing his mag checks and speaking to TWR for clearance interesting.

Regarding horizon curvature, this is a product of both (1) how wide the lens and (2) angle of lens. For the same lens, just setting a few degrees more horizontal will make a big difference. Going with a wider lens will make it worse.

Some tips:
- use lots of shorter clips as opposed to fewer longer ones (cross-fade at about 1.2 seconds)
- match the music background with the action and cadence of the visual
- use audio “ducking” (lowering music for voice/sound, then back up)
- use smooth intros, blends and fade outs; don’t overdo it with overly fancy transitions
exfirepro liked this
I didn't suggest anyone would or should produce a video that is not interesting. The videos I produce without voice are edited to be interesting to me, as I can relate to the flight. They are unlikely to be interesting to others.

It's horses for courses.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can only afford one gopro and have only done a few videos for reasons given earlier.

However I do do sound and have a kosher sound splitter and nightflight prop filter and the results are pretty good for me. I dunno how to edit but I stuck a short early video on our group website with sound as a guide to approach and takeoff from our rather quirky airstrip as an adjunct to PPR for visitors>

Its on our website linked to our share for sale ad. (before prop filter)

Had a few problems with a/c squelch initially, but finally cracked it: Indeed in closing minute ANRman rholder can clearly be heard on safetycom approaching High Cross 50 miles away in G-WW.
I totally get what @RisePilot is saying - you only have to watch a few videos on YT to see that it's possible to make quite engaging films with a bit of effort and a few simple rules. And there's some awful stuff too!
But Im not worried about that level yet ;)
Thanks to all for help so far. I'll report back when I've had a go.
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I recently used my Hero4 silver by placing in different places through a day's flying. Inside looking forward, then at the pilot (both with intercom/ATC), then outside looking forward and then looking sideways or on the tail hook. It changes for each leg then just edit it together. Outside controlled by remote so it shortens the editing need even further. I pondered buying a second camera but because most of my flying includes at least one landing away I can change the camera position and battery.

Since Hero4 is also 4k I've no plans to upgrade to anything later until it packs up.
By Rob P
As a matter of idle interest ...

Does anyone ever actually watch a flying video they have made on a screen big enough for 4K to make any visible improvement at all?

Does anyone really watch other people's flying videos on a screen big enough for 4K to make any visible improvement at all?

Rob P
Yes. I cast in 4K to my large screen 4K television in living room or televisions/monitors in my bedrooms

Even, if you stick to 1080p (HD) for renders and posting on internet, you'll still have the 4K render file which you can re-render to 4K at a later date.