Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Or maybe it is just pent-up demand?

This from Duxford

Saturday 22 May, SOLD OUT
Sunday 6 June, SOLD OUT
Sunday 20 June, SOLD OUT
Saturday 3 July, Coming Soon
Wednesday 4, August Coming Soon
Wednesday 11, August Coming Soon
Thursday 19, August Coming Soon
Saturday 9, October Coming Soon

And the first Old Warden drive-in show is also full. :(

Rob P
By Mike Tango
From the Duxford website...

"All Flying Days for 2021 have a limited amount of tickets available due to COVID 19 restrictions. Please book your tickets in advance via the website to guarantee your place!"

Get in early for any event anywhere you want to go to this year is probably the rule.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If Flying Legends goes ahead at Sywell, I think there will be an equal stampede for tickets...I think I’ll give it a miss this year if it does go ahead and opt for one of the later Old Warden shows.

I was hoping to take the Shiny Colt into OW on 22 May for the Chipmunk 75th anniversary meeting, but if all the Chipmunks currently booked turn up (c. 70 I think), space may be at a premium and understandably they will have priority.

Ian
By Rob P
I find that hard to understand :wink:

Rob P
By Rob L
Rob P wrote:....
And the first Old Warden drive-in show is also full. :(

Rob P

I can understand why they appeal, but Old Warden shows are so "same-old" that I'll probably never go to one again.
By Rob P
They are trying to theme them this year, but with the core of the show being the collection a certain familiarity is inevitable.

We try to go to one a year, generally speaking the only airshow we bother with, and view it as a delightful picnic with added aeroplanes, rather than a display with a packed lunch.

Rob P

Sunday 2 May – Season Premiere Drive-In Display – SOLD OUT

Saturday 15 May – Spies and Intrigue Evening Drive-in Display

Sunday 6 June – Flying Festival of Britain Drive-In Display

Saturday 19 June – A Scurry of Chipmunks Evening Drive-in Display

Sunday 4 July – Military Air Show Drive-in Display

Saturday 17 July – Flying for Fun Evening Drive-in Display

Sunday 1 August – Family Air Show (Need for Speed)

Saturday 14 August – Flying Circus

Saturday 4 & Sunday 5 September – Vintage Weekend

Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 October – Race Weekend
By Josh
The Old Warden airshows, particularly in the drive-in format they did last year are really family friendly - good views, picnic space, and things to do.

It's a great introduction for small children as they can dip in and out of the flying with family/food/distractions all around and without the long period on their feet that you might get at other airshows. I wouldn't be going to all of them, but one a year is a really good outing.
By skydriller
These "drive in" shows ... can you "fly in" too? And if so how does it work?

One thing I really missed last year were the french "local" airshows where you could fly in and watch the show and have a picnic under the shade of your wing. Everything got cancelled last year and Im really hoping that a few might be allowed towards the end of summer here.

Regards, SD..
By JR_MAS
If you can't get a ticket for the actual day at Duxford, the day after is usually still worthwhile.

I've done this before and been able to see a few interesting aircraft still there and some departures.
By Wabash
skydriller wrote:These "drive in" shows ... can you "fly in" too? And if so how does it work?

One thing I really missed last year were the french "local" airshows where you could fly in and watch the show and have a picnic under the shade of your wing. Everything got cancelled last year and Im really hoping that a few might be allowed towards the end of summer here.

Regards, SD..

How do the French airshows compare to our post Shoreham airshow world? is the display line noticeably closer and the displays lower and a greater variety of manoevres and speeds ranges as per a decade ago in the good ole days or is there little discernable difference?
By Rob P
skydriller wrote:These "drive in" shows ... can you "fly in" too? And if so how does it work?

You certainly can fly-in and also during the summer college vacation book accommodation at the college - maybe even now if all their teaching is online.

These are all evening shows I think, and the end of the show is a very fraught time for fly-in visitors. If the Edwardians fly, in the very still closing of the day, visiting pilots can be seen fidgeting and looking anxiously at their watches, calculating if they can still arrive home in daylight. The moment the show is finished they gallop across the field toting picnic hampers and deck chairs, much like a desperate 1940, Battle of Britain scramble (except for the picnic hampers and Mae Wests)

The daytime shows you can fly in to and also fly out of, of course.

Rob P
skydriller liked this
By skydriller
Wabash wrote:How do the French airshows compare to our post Shoreham airshow world? is the display line noticeably closer and the displays lower and a greater variety of manoevres and speeds ranges as per a decade ago in the good ole days or is there little discernable difference?

Im afraid the last UK airshow I went to was flying into duxford about 5 or 6 years ago... I can only re-iterate that the small local shows Ive been to are very convivial, often with a hangar lunch for those who fly-in or participate, and those that fly in are usually allowed to watch the show from under the shade of the wing of their aeroplane. Im afraid I couldnt say if the display rules are different to the UK, but I havent seen anything I would consider to be unsafe.

Regards, SD..