Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By oldbiggincfi
MichaelP wrote:Flew in G ARJV once...

Breakfast patrols would mean so many airprox reports now.

JV was Gordon King's ours was JU - The aerobatic one !!

WE couldn't write back then and spent most of our time looking out the windows so not to hit each other .
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
B1engineer wrote:
patowalker wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:This chap has his licence and was wanting to hire an aeroplane, innit?

Yes, but the rental of permit to fly aircraft flown on a NPPL does not have the same track record as Part 21 aircraft flown on a PPL, so it is not surprising that rental conditions sometimes differ. I believe insurance rates reflect this, and explains the relatively high cost of renting aircraft that are cheaper to operate than one with a CofA..

Words completely fail me patiowalker :cry: .
I've heard rumours of a hierarchy within GA, and people looking down on the unwashed but really :shock:

What a disappointing outlook on NPPL pilots flying permit aircraft.

You have got hold of the wrong end of the stick B1engineer. I have been a microlight pilot much longer than than I have flown anything heavier, and that is a 480kg Eurostar. The only reason I have a LAPL (from NPPL SSEA) is to be able to fly that aircraft abroad ( good while it lasted). I wrote that post fully aware of the hierarchy you mention.

Just in case my microlight credentials are in doubt, I have a PPL(A)M which predates the NPPL and have owned an American Aerolites Eagle, Quicksilver MXL, Chaser S, Quantum and CH601UL. Also happen to be a past president of the Asociación de Aviones Ultralivianos del Peru. :D

Hopefully, that adds context to my post.
B1engineer, kanga liked this
By B1engineer
patowalker wrote:
B1engineer wrote:
patowalker wrote:
Yes, but the rental of permit to fly aircraft flown on a NPPL does not have the same track record as Part 21 aircraft flown on a PPL, so it is not surprising that rental conditions sometimes differ. I believe insurance rates reflect this, and explains the relatively high cost of renting aircraft that are cheaper to operate than one with a CofA..

Words completely fail me patiowalker :cry: .
I've heard rumours of a hierarchy within GA, and people looking down on the unwashed but really :shock:

What a disappointing outlook on NPPL pilots flying permit aircraft.

You have got hold of the wrong end of the stick B1engineer. I have been a microlight pilot much longer than than I have flown anything heavier, and that is a 480kg Eurostar. The only reason I have a LAPL (from NPPL SSEA) is to be able to fly that aircraft abroad ( good while it lasted). I wrote that post fully aware of the hierarchy you mention.

Just in case my microlight credentials are in doubt, I have a PPL(A)M which predates the NPPL and have owned an American Aerolites Eagle, Quicksilver MXL, Chaser S, Quantum and CH601UL. Also happen to be a past president of the Asociación de Aviones Ultralivianos del Peru. :D

Hopefully, that adds context to my post.

Understood Patiowalker :lol:
Heckles removed and stowed for another battle :lol:

B1
patowalker liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
patowalker wrote:Also happen to be a past president of the Asociación de Aviones Ultralivianos del Peru. :D

Yeah, so if anyone knows airborne cowboys...

Or am I thinking of Argentina? ;-)

Maybe I'm stereotyping, given the television programmes we see of farming in the area. :D
By oldbiggincfi
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Electronic conspicuity takes all the challenge out of it!

Mind you, having a high visibility black aeroplane, I never really fancied my chances.

Obviously from this forum you will note how many pilots only see Black & white .

Work out the odds - so take care :cyclopsani:
By lobstaboy
Miscellaneous wrote:Having stirred a bit of a hornets nest I have every confidence @flyingearly will have the common decency and integrity to come back and offer explanation and conclusion. :thumright:

Gosh, I never thought of you as young and idealistic @Miscellaneous
It just shows how wrong you can be about people on the internet. I had you down as old and cynical like me ;)
Miscellaneous liked this
By flyingearly
Miscellaneous wrote:Having stirred a bit of a hornets nest I have every confidence @flyingearly will have the common decency and integrity to come back and offer explanation and conclusion. :thumright:

I will do, but I haven't spoken to the school yet; we are trying to arrange a zoom call in the next few days.

I have received a brief email response back and - to an extent - I consider that this has reassured me that I was right to ask the original question at the very least, but until I've had the chance to speak to the club/school, I won't be reporting back with anything else.
Miscellaneous, Aerials, kanga and 1 others liked this
By flyingearly
Just to provide some closure, I had a very positive conversation with the school earlier today and we have been able to share our point of view and have agreed a constructive route forward that works for both sides. I look forward to continuing to rent from them, at least until I can find a share in something later this year (hopefully).

For a number of fully valid reasons, I don't think it's right to add further details, other than to note I really value the way that the school have listened to my questions and explained their perspective. I am sure things could have been done differently on both sides, but I have to hold my own hand up here and say that I shouldn't have assumed that using these forums as a sounding board before speaking to the school first would be the best first step. Instead, I should have picked up the phone. Now that I have done so, I've got clarity and reassurance that really helps me: it's much easier to digest rules if you understand the motivating factors behind them. Equally, I am sure that my asking questions has been useful feedback for the school too. Mea culpa for not having that direct conversation to begin with.

From my perspective, I'm very happy and keen that the situation has been resolved and I can move on with building my hours and progressing with my flying. Queue the strong winds, low clouds and heavy rain! :D
IMCR, lobstaboy, Morten and 8 others liked this