Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
eltonioni wrote:Time doesn't even wait for heroes. Only Buzz left now from the A11 trio.

"Time waits for no man"

Buzz Aldrin came to my Worcestershire school in the late seventies promoting his religious beliefs ... it was a great pleasure to hear the stories of his space exploits, but I was not convinced about the religious stuff.

Perhaps his beliefs bore him well if he's the last of the three?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Buzz Aldrin, being a patron of Aerobility has attended the Aviators’ Ball and turned up at Blackbushe on a number of occasions. It’s a shame that they’ll not all be around to see the return of manned missions to the moon.

Iceman 8)
Hooligan wrote:His book "Carrying the Fire" is the best of the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo books. Somebody that I'd very much like to have met...

RIP.

Thanks for the recommendation - have just purchased. :thumleft:
A wonderful man in every way. If you’ve ever walked around the Air and Space Museum in Washington, you are walking amongst his handiwork.

He was probably the most rounded and eloquent of the three crew on Apollo 11, and his decision to sacrifice the opportunity to have been the last man on the moon for his family is testament to his personal qualities. A fine life well lived.

It’s a sad reminder of our lack of ambition that there may be none of the original translunar voyagers alive when NASA returns to the moon in a few years time.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jonzarno wrote:Image

Someone pointed out on COPA that this picture taken by Michael Collins includes every single person that has ever lived on earth except for the man who took it.

I remember watching the landing on an old black and white TV over 50 years ago.

:salut:

Collins also held the record for being 'the remotest human' in the sense that he has been further away from other humans than anyone else. (About 3,700 km - shortly after that photograph was taken)
Not sure when that will be broken...
Not quite the same, but the Apollo 13 crew are the humans who have travelled furthest from earth due to their flightpath post-accident. Jim Lovell (my true aviation hero) and Fred Haise are thankfully still with us claiming that record!