The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By ROG
Flew cherokee 180 this morning.--had report from another member ref brakes--checked out as engineer works from short strip--I usually pop it over to him for odd problems--while you wait service.
The right brake is not working.--so when you brake pulls to left.
The left brake is ok.
Happened a few weeks ago--engineer bled right brake--initially ok.
Using handbrake veers to left -as expected---countered by pushing right rudder.
Based on field with ginormous runway so long enough for it to run out of steam.
Any thoughts other than air on one side -but apparently not on other.
Brake shoes replaced at same time..
Will see engineer next week but any thoughts from members experience of similar?
By ROG
Hi Rob--with both.----normally only use handbrake for parking.--It"s a 1967 180c--ex hamble
Looked in Pratts book--seems separate reservoirs above each toe brake--possibly leak in that area. Understand from mate--to also check no leak around wheel.
If my engineer can bleed it--if that works as a temporary answer, I can fly it into his strip and leave it with him for a check on the whole system.
After looking forward to getting airborne again want to get aviating with everything ok.
Guess most of our aircraft are getting on a bit now and little problems will keep happening.
By Sooty25
I know nothing about cherokee brakes, but if the system has individual master cylinders, and there is no evidence of a leak, then it can only be either a caliper or master cylinder fault.

If the pedal remains firm when pressed, maybe a seized caliper. If the pedal softens under pressure, seal failure in the master cylinder. Either fault would allow fluid to be bled.

If the pads have been replaced this would tend to rule out a stuck caliper, as it would have been spotted during pad replacement.
By ROG
Hi Sooty--the right toe brake goes to the floor--ie--all the way. .Also hand brake comes up with no pressure--when pulled up up all the way--seems to work-so guess its working on left brake--just holding. From what you say possible seal failure. When I checked plane yesterday-didn"t see any trace of leak around wheel.
By Sooty25
ROG wrote:Hi Sooty--the right toe brake goes to the floor--ie--all the way. .Also hand brake comes up with no pressure--when pulled up up all the way--seems to work-so guess its working on left brake--just holding. From what you say possible seal failure. When I checked plane yesterday-didn"t see any trace of leak around wheel.

Sounds like master cylinder seals to me. Even if there was air in the system, it would have a spongy feel with some resistance.

If there is still fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, it can't have a leak.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By ROG
Don"t know, On this type pain taking cowl off. I"ll speak to engineer tuesday--from above comments and chats with mates--looks now like a seal gone somewhere. If poss will get a temporary fix to fly it into field-or should get it in with decent wind down runway. I normally have to put power on after landing to run whole length of field.
Once sorted i"ll put results on here.
Comments all useful thanks.
By ROG
Engineers chap came today to get air out of right brake. Took some time-took plane to engineers strip.
Transpired all seals replaced--whole system checked.
All now working so hopefully problem solved.
Rob L, Flyin'Dutch' liked this