Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Oyster Box - it has come to me, can I give them a well deserved plug. Beautiful beach and coastal path as well.

When every is flying again, whats not to like, the fuel saving probably pays for a jolly good meal and taxi. Just annnoyed that the Jersey Royals always seem to taste better there - I wonder if it is like wine, the locals reserve the best for themselves. :D
Last edited by IMCR on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanM liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My wife still struggles to reconcile RP ORTAC with the rock of the same name near Burhou.
By IMCR
I tell you for those that might not know what is going strong, and that is the tide - if you ever get the change to route between the eatern tip of Alderney (about where the lighthouse stands) and the French coast when the tide is at full rip it is an absolute sight. Some of the fastest ans biggest tidal flows I think you will see. Not sure if this is right, but there was some talk about a tidal barrier across the channel if I recall someone telling me. MIght well have been having me on, but there is some energy passing through there. Bu**er ever having an engine failure anywhere around there!! :D
johnm wrote:My wife still struggles to reconcile RP ORTAC with the rock of the same name near Burhou.

Had to look that one up.

I know it now, got some photos some where may try and find one. Covered in birds.
AlanM liked this
By AlanM
IMCR wrote:I tell you for those that might not know what is going strong, and that is the tide - if you ever get the change to route between the eatern tip of Alderney (about where the lighthouse stands) and the French coast when the tide is at full rip it is an absolute sight. Some of the fastest ans biggest tidal flows I think you will see. Not sure if this is right, but there was some talk about a tidal barrier across the channel if I recall someone telling me. MIght well have been having me on, but there is some energy passing through there. Bu**er ever having an engine failure anywhere around there!! :D

Constant talk of harnessing the tide/wave power in the area. I still don’t think that the technology is efficient enough at the moment. (You may be aware that the Nuclear Power Station is just 15 miles away in Flamanville...... dinky cable is cheaper no doubt)

Yes, the Aderney Race is not one to be caught in. There have been awful stories of a MOB there and people disappearing immediately. With Jersey having almost 11m of tidal range in large spring tides, the water definitely flows around the headlands.

Last edited by AlanM on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://guernseypress.com/news/2018/05/ ... rney-race/

Google is your friend, and I see there was some truth in it!

I reckon that could provide all the power used in all the islands and some left for the French. :D

One other little gem that brings back fond memories and this was going to Alderney one of the many times. Someone said you do realise all the hegehogs on the island are white. You are 'aving me on!

That evening just above the harbour in the grass sure enough there was a white hedgehog - and yes it really was properly white!

The best resteraunt there use to be opposite the hotel Braye Hotel. Run by a lovely lady for years, sadly closed maybe ten years ago, under her as patron. One of the few places to go back to as often as you could. I wonder if anyone else remembers it?
AlanM liked this
By johnm
Rita Gilmore ran the First and Last opposite what used to be the Sea View now the Braye Beach. A regular haunt for us for many years.

There is still a consortium around looking at hollow turbine generation in the Race and I have seen yachts in full sail going backwards there before now.
Johnm - what a brilliant memory, and it was indeed the First and Last. Such a shame it closed, one of the treasures, it was. Never found anything quite like it on Alderney, sad to say. The Braye Beach started out very well, but I am not sure it quite kept its standards.

Yes, I have also watched yachts coming out of Braye Harbour west bound for Guernsey and going backwards with the engine at full tiltl The currents there are impressive as well, and with some nasty overfalls with wind against tide.

Maybe Alderney (as well as the others) will have a good year with the limitation on Interantional travel - I do hope so.

Anyone who hasnt been to Sark must go. Another complete gem. Fly to Guernsey and it is an easy boat trip over. There is an hotel in the middle of Sark where I stayed last time that is superb (Stocks). Great bar surrounded by fine malts! Just what us pilots need. Guernsey as airports go simply could not be more welcoming.
AlanM liked this
By AlanM
IMCR wrote:Johnm - what a brilliant memory, and it was indeed the First and Last. Such a shame it closed, one of the treasures, it was. Never found anything quite like it on Alderney, sad to say. The Braye Beach started out very well, but I am not sure it quite kept its standards.

Yes, I have also watched yachts coming out of Braye Harbour west bound for Guernsey and going backwards with the engine at full tiltl The currents there are impressive as well, and with some nasty overfalls with wind against tide.

Maybe Alderney (as well as the others) will have a good year with the limitation on Interantional travel - I do hope so.

Anyone who hasnt been to Sark must go. Another complete gem. Fly to Guernsey and it is an easy boat trip over. There is an hotel in the middle of Sark where I stayed last time that is superb (Stocks). Great bar surrounded by fine malts! Just what us pilots need. Guernsey as airports go simply could not be more welcoming.

You could have sailed to Sark and used Stocks’ own mooring!

Herm is also worth seeing..... I love taling the boat there. As is the Ecrehous and the Minquieres which you can get to by one of the many Rib charters.

Staycation in the Channel Islands is the way forward!
By johnm
A word of caution. As yet those arriving in the Bailiwick via whatever RP need to isolate for 14 Days and get tested before they go anywhere.

We are hopeful that those rules may ease by July.
Here’s an example of a TC approach sector radar display. In this case Heathrow taken circa 2015, but it’s not changed much in the interim. Lack of traffic due to it being almost midnight as opposed to viral pandemics. If you can make them out squares are airfields, x and small + VORs and other relevant waypoints. The various lines delineating relevant airspace boundaries. LHR in the middle, the parallel lines extending outwards the runway centrelines with range markings every 2nm and the circles range rings at 10nm intervals. But of note, not all possible airspace nor waypoints that might otherwise exist at the time are delineated on the display. Same applies to the other TC sectors, it’s all very sector/role specific...

Last edited by Mike Tango on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.