Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:
Highland Park wrote:
JAFO wrote:Well, I could only enjoy today by going for a walk down by the coast but it was great to hear the aircraft engines buzzing overhead. Of course, I was a tiny bit jealous but also pleased to hear so many others up flying.

I think The Shiny Colt was flying in your part of the world (ish) earlier today, although sadly it wasn’t me flying...

Ian

Now that would have brought a tear to my eye, can't wait. I'm like a kid who keeps having Christmas postponed.

I gather your Christmas is coming early on the 16th - at least on the ground! Sadly I won't be able to join you and Richard, but I hope it will have been worth the wait. I managed to get airborne on Sunday finally and it was nice to gently blow the cobwebs away...

Ian
Rob P, JAFO liked this
By Rob P
Highland Park wrote:I gather your Christmas is coming early on the 16th
I managed to get airborne on Sunday

Both excellent bits of news :clap:

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
For a whole variety of reasons, it has taken me until today to return to the skies.

A quick trip with an instructor to find out if I was likely to bring the aeroplane back in a state where it would be re-useable. There were things I was a bit slow with but it all felt okay and I was less rusty than I imagined. What a day it was for it. Blue skies, a breeze more or less right down the runway, puffy white clouds to play around with.

Oh, how lucky we are. It's great to be back. Booked in for Monday, too. :D
MattL, lobstaboy, T6Harvard and 6 others liked this
By T6Harvard
JAFO wrote:For a whole variety of reasons, it has taken me until today to return to the skies.

A quick trip with an instructor to find out if I was likely to bring the aeroplane back in a state where it would be re-useable. There were things I was a bit slow with but it all felt okay and I was less rusty than I imagined. What a day it was for it. Blue skies, a breeze more or less right down the runway, puffy white clouds to play around with.

Oh, how lucky we are. It's great to be back. Booked in for Monday, too. :D

Indeed we are.

Glad you had a good trip! If you could just make sure the wx is reasonable on Monday, that'd be great, thanks :thumleft:
By Rob P
@JAFO

Share or rental?

Rob P
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:Rental, for now @Rob P - still looking.

I do sympathise. There's little in the way of interesting shares in this part of the world, and once some are ruled out for reasons of fit it gets even worse.

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
Rob P wrote:I do sympathise. There's little in the way of interesting shares in this part of the world, and once some are ruled out for reasons of fit it gets even worse.

Yeah, I was gutted when I found out that the Shiny Colt was made for human beings rather than sideshow freaks. "Come look at the amazing long-bodied man."

Still, it's not the first time, several aeroplanes and countless cars have been ruled out. I once drove a Mazda MX5 and could only do so with the roof down and looking over the windscreen, quite blowy. Perhaps I need to find a share in an open cockpit aeroplane.
T6Harvard liked this
By lobstaboy
JAFO wrote:.... I once drove a Mazda MX5

I thought the forum autodonked that car's name. Has it been pardoned then?

You'll have the same problems in an open cockpit aeroplane, or worse. I mean in terms of sticking up into the drafts.

Newer designs tend to cater for larger people, because on average we've got bigger over the last 50 years or so. There will be loads of exceptions to that of course.
By Paul_Sengupta
lobstaboy wrote:
JAFO wrote:.... I once drove a Mazda MX5

I thought the forum autodonked that car's name. Has it been pardoned then?

I mentioned it on the other thread and I thought I'd got away with it... ;-)

lobstaboy wrote:You'll have the same problems in an open cockpit aeroplane, or worse. I mean in terms of sticking up into the drafts.

I must have similar dimensions to JAFO.

I get a real shoulder and forehead pounding in the breeze in a Tiger Moth, but I'm fairly well protected in a Stearman.